The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Desk Spec

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Basil 
#1 ·
I set up my spec last week with the Fluval PCL 13 Watt light. I've got a Hydor Theo 25 Watt heater in the pump chamber.

Substrate is Eco-Complete. Hardscape is a couple of small driftwood branches and some river rock to hold them down until they waterlog.

Plants are all scraps from other tanks. There's a little crypt of some sort in there, some Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, blyxa that was wasting away in another tank, anubias, a stem I can't identify, Asian Ambulia, Taiwan or Xmas moss on the wood and some duckweed.

Right now, Jasper, one of my bettas is hanging out in there. But I don't think he's permanent.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! I spotted him at Petco. He has this iridescent thing going on where his color looks different depending on how the light is hitting him...light purples, blues and greens always touched with some pale yellow-orange. I am really growing quite fond of him. He might get to stay on my desk permanently.

You have some nice tanks the spec and the one behind. Also nice betta.
Thank you so much! Everyone's tanks on here always look so great that I have been very reluctant to post any photos of mine. The one in the back is my 29 gallon. It was my first real planted tank. It is a real mish-mosh of stuff. I tend to just put stuff in and see if it grows with little to no planning. :hihi:

#17 ·
OK..cleaned it up some. Looking much better now! I hacked the stem plants, too. They were poking out the top!

Playing around with the camera settings. Maybe I don't need a new camera; maybe I just need to learn how to use the one I have! LOL! This shot actually looks pretty clear.

#18 ·
So this tank started out looking really good, but is not doing so well these days. The light was too much without CO2 and I don't want to add it on this tank. It is in line for a re-scape. But it is like 3rd in line, so it could be a while.

In the meantime I am playing with reducing the light to see if I can find something that will support these plants without encouraging so much algae. I have access to the stock light from an Aqueon Evolve 8 gallon. I am sure it will be less than the Fluval PCL, but I am not sure how much brighter than the stock light it will be.

The plants have actually grown a little wild in there. The scape looked good, but the position of the wood makes it hard to maintain. Severus, my little pea puffer, seems to dig it though. He is hanging out in there until a new 10 gallon is ready for him.

I'll post some pics of the re-scape once it comes around!

#19 ·
I had the same problem with the 13w light on the spec being too much without co2, experiencing algae everywhere (especially on the glass). After I added 1 nerite snail, though, the tank seems to be in balance. A while ago, I took the snail out so I could treat for hydra, and the tank crashed again. After adding the nerite back in, it bounced right back. I'd love to hear if you find another solution, though!

#20 ·
Would love to hear how you handled the hydra.

I bought fenben last night and a big syringe thing. 0.1 gm of fenben to 10 gal so need to measure out 0.05 gm for my 5 g spec.

My plan is to do a blackout cover except for on 2x2 inch square for 2 hours, let all the hydra congregate there and then squirt and sponge them away.

#21 ·
The fenben is great. It worked for me on my planaria.

It did miss a few eggs, as months later, I see one new one crawling around.

The tank is great, but coming from a fellow speckie, the cabomba doesn't work great. It gets too tall, needs to be replanted too often and is too flimsy to stand up to the lowest blower setting.

I'm looking for drift wood for mine... But I'm at a loss for now.. Idk where to find spec sized things.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.