2/20/13

TANK: 125g (72x18x24)

FILTERATION: FX5 (but will most likely be adding another smaller canister to
run the CO2 reactor)

LIGHTING: 2 36" Tek fixtures with 2x Giesemann Middays and 2x Flora bulbs

SUBSTRATE: ADA AquaSoil New Amazonia. Normal and Powder types. PFS
beach.

HARDSCAPE: Mountain scape. Stone i collected locally

FAUNA: I plan to have a single school tetras of 100+ and a cleaning crew.

FLORA: (Planned) I will update the list as i go.

I plan to DSM the following
  • UG
  • DHG
  • Mini Fiss
I apologize for the poor picture quality. I am the furtherest thing from a photographer.

I have always been intrigued with mountain scapes, so i decide to go that route on this rescape. I just love the look of flowing grass-like carpeting plants littered with stones.

I spent all day yesterday arranging the stones and placing the substrate. So here is the first scape go round. I am sure that i will rearrange some of the stone before the flood a time or two.

The planting plan as of right now:

• UG covering most all of the visable AS
  • DHG accents thown in between rocks and thrown in here and there
  • Mini Fiss 1) ground up and rubbed on rocks during the DSM
  • Mini Fiss 2) grown on round SS mesh and placed where AS and PFS are visibly touching as well as randomly placed among the UG and on the sides of the "mountians" to give the appearance of little round "tree groves".

See less See more
#80 ·
yeah a little bit. What there is left is actually doing very well

Well if you ever have to break down a tank chad lol
HA! yeah if i ever do, ill let you know

I was surprised that you left the tank without water for so long. I half expected a lot of those plants to dry up and die. Replant now that you flooded the tank.
Well when i paid $100+ for 2 sp ft, the seller told me that it was grown emersed......so......i just figured that it would be ok in the DSM for a few weeks....i was wrong

#82 ·
Looking good chad.

I'm glad what's left of the UG is growing.

What's the white thing in the top right corner?

OK I thought it was just but does the aqua soil leaves like a dirt dusting over everything?
I can see some of that fissiden rock.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

#83 ·
Thx bud!

thats my drop checker. I have it in there while i fine tune the co2 dosing

Actually when you see on the rock is actually the rocks coloration. There is a few grains of AS on it too though.

But to answer your question, yes, along the top, along the water line there is a dirty ring. Not much anymore but a little here and there.

Now when i do a WC i do get the dirty fart bubbles floating up from time to time

#86 ·
thx adrewss, i appreciate that.

As far as the color of the BG goes....i appreciate your input, BUT being that water weighs approx. 8.33 Lbs per gallon...and i have 125 gallons that weighs 1041.25 pounds in water alone..i think that i am pretty much stuck with that shade of blue.

As a side note. While picking the color, i did have a lighter one in my hand prior to picking this one.........

#96 ·
in the shot of the right hand side. its dead center between two rocks

thx, i want to eventually have an entire fiss lawn. someday.

Looks awesome can't wait to see it grow, blyxa is a beauty.

Don't forget to feed the otos when the algae is gone, they are bottemless pits, no joking, mine eat all day everyday.
thx rusty, yeah i have had otos before. i actually offered then an algae pellet a few days ago and they didnt touch it. And the funny thing is that i dont see much algae in the tank atm either.

Ill offer them zucchini soon as well.

#102 ·
actually, 11 made alive. 2 died the first day. And now i can only account for 2 of them. I cant say that its the same 2 that ikeep seeing but...

Then again, they are about 1/4 inch in length, living on about 12 sq ft of floor space in a 125 gallon water column, so....

thx H4n and you too!

Very nice tank, hat off for it.
thx discus, i aopreciate that.

#107 ·
Thx. the mesh is stainless steel. It will be there until i take it out. BUT eventually, the fiss will overtake the mesh edges and and grow out across the substrate.

Very Nice!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
thx bud

tagged for future updates with pictures :)

looking awesome thus far... UC seems to be doing well.
i appreciate it mike.

yeah the UG is coming around a little bit. slowly but surely. In spots its trying to pull up from the AS, but i keep plugging it in further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.