2/20/13

TANK: 125g (72x18x24)

FILTERATION: FX5 (but will most likely be adding another smaller canister to
run the CO2 reactor)

LIGHTING: 2 36" Tek fixtures with 2x Giesemann Middays and 2x Flora bulbs

SUBSTRATE: ADA AquaSoil New Amazonia. Normal and Powder types. PFS
beach.

HARDSCAPE: Mountain scape. Stone i collected locally

FAUNA: I plan to have a single school tetras of 100+ and a cleaning crew.

FLORA: (Planned) I will update the list as i go.

I plan to DSM the following
  • UG
  • DHG
  • Mini Fiss
I apologize for the poor picture quality. I am the furtherest thing from a photographer.

I have always been intrigued with mountain scapes, so i decide to go that route on this rescape. I just love the look of flowing grass-like carpeting plants littered with stones.

I spent all day yesterday arranging the stones and placing the substrate. So here is the first scape go round. I am sure that i will rearrange some of the stone before the flood a time or two.

The planting plan as of right now:

• UG covering most all of the visable AS
  • DHG accents thown in between rocks and thrown in here and there
  • Mini Fiss 1) ground up and rubbed on rocks during the DSM
  • Mini Fiss 2) grown on round SS mesh and placed where AS and PFS are visibly touching as well as randomly placed among the UG and on the sides of the "mountians" to give the appearance of little round "tree groves".

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow ! you have been busy.....looks great Chad. Loving the rocks too, i bet they cost you a lot :)
Cant wait to see this filled in. Loving the name ha ha , your now a pro due to naming the tank !

#4 ·
thanks man.

I hope your adventure went well today:icon_wink

That's a nice tank to the tank with the hardscape. When you say collected locally do you mean free or bought locally?
Thanks i appreciate it.

I went out and found them at a local lake!

#12 ·
thx, i hope it does!

I'm looking on my phone but is the dgh mixed in with the UG?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

no, there is actually very little DHG in this. Basically it is the back right corner. On both sides of the "large mountian" and a little between a few rocks. Thats is all.

All of the rest that you see is the UG.

#13 ·
Fast forward 4 weeks quickly !!!!
Still not managed to get to the lake Chad, its killing me but i will soon.

#17 ·
Someone on another forum said my scape lacked "flow"

I was shooting for a fantasy/fictional mountian scape when i started this. NOT a scape that appeared preplanned. Nor one that would be submitted in a Scaping contest and had to meet "certian criteria".

BUT i want it to look as nice and as pleasing to the eye as possible.

So....If you think that i need to make adjustments PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make suggestions now while i can still change things around. Beacuse after the flood, it will be too late.

Folks, help me out here.

Thx

#33 ·
I always ask myself, "What would please me?" Because, honestly: you aren't going to be able to please everyone. What lacks "flow" to someone else may look "perfect" to you or a different person. I like it just fine. Why make it look like someone else's tank? Did you get into this hobby to please everyone else? ;)

I love these supposed know-it-all's who proclaim to know everything about everything regarding "aquascaping." You're not entering this into a contest, so who cares? Go for something that you find nice, and try to put a unique spin on it. Or don't. But I wouldn't think twice about a random comment regarding the "flow" of the scape....that's subjective silliness.

Good job so far, Mr. Chad!

#20 ·
thx bucket! i appreciate that.

Funny thing is, Wall of the Sun is a mountian in LOTR, Thats where i got the title

I am definitely liking round 2 of the scape alot better.

I am also removing all of the sand. That was a bad idea.... Like drinking milk after a long hot jog.

#23 ·
thx Doug, yeah, me either. I just diced up some min fiss and smeared it on the "North" side of the mountian faces/rock edges so it will be another 2 weeks or so.

I will say this. After pulling UG up to move stones aroud, i am amazed at the root growth in both depth and volume over such a short period of time.

sand is still not out because my other bag of AS has not arrived. Nor have i covered it. Sorry

I was advice to move or remove the overhanging rock at the base of the right mountian, but i can bring myself to move/remove it. I really like it.

I kinda like this set up. The negative space is not a V but rather U-ish in shape.

Todays rome movement:

Scaping Take 3

#26 · (Edited)
This scape looks a lot better than the first and I wouldn't move the overhanging rock myself, I think it looks good. Sometimes you just have to go with what looks good to you and don't worry about what others say. But I have to agree that the changes you made with the rocks and removal of the sand were for the better. It would have been a pain to keep the AS from mixing with the sand. Looking forward to seeing this filled up. The only thing I would suggest is the second biggest rock on the left needs to have some more substrate around the base(or buried more) so it doesn't look like it just sitting on top of the substrate

#29 ·
This scape looks a lot better than the first and I wouldn't move the overhanging rock myself, I think it looks good. Sometimes you just have to go with what looks good to you and don't worry about what others say. But I have to agree that the changes you made with the rocks and removal of the sand where for the better. It would have been a pain to keep the AS from mixing with the sand. Looking forward to seeing this filled up. The only thing I would suggest is the second biggest rock on the left needs to have some more substrate around the base(or buried more) so it doesn't look like it just sitting on top of the substrate
Yeah ill add more AS there, there is actually a few places i need to add more. I have another bag coming in this week for that and replacing the sand.

Looks AWESOME buddy! Kinda reminds me of my scape, just w/o the dw. :D

You gotta stay vigilant at keeping that sand area free from AS! haha

Sorry if I missed it but if you're planning on keeping any cories in there, you can forgetaboutit! No cories and no plecos!
thx speedie.

actually i am in the process of removing the sand. In the planning stages, in my minds eye, the sand beach was a good idea. BUT once i poured it down around the AS, i instantly saw that it was a bad idea.

#27 ·
Looks AWESOME buddy! Kinda reminds me of my scape, just w/o the dw. :D

You gotta stay vigilant at keeping that sand area free from AS! haha

Sorry if I missed it but if you're planning on keeping any cories in there, you can forgetaboutit! No cories and no plecos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.