The Planted Tank Forum banner

Chuck's Desktop Spec

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  dacrax07 
#1 ·
Hi all. This is my first attempt at a planted pico tank. This tank was originally a pico reef tank, but I got a little bored with it. Lighting is the stock spec unit but I have plans to update it to either 3 or 4 3watt CREE LEDs on a dimmable driver. Probably 3 cool whites and a royal blue. I know blue is useless in FW tanks but I like the crisper white that a blue mixed in gives you.

Stock List:
7 CRS
2 Clown Killifish

Java Fern
Flame Moss
Unknown Crypt

See less See more
#5 ·
Yup, I have some dwarf valis at my fiance's house waiting for me to remember to grab it. Once I put that in I will let this grow in and see if anything needs to be added down the road. She has a nice 20g tall planted tank that has been going for around 6-9 months.

#8 ·
Worked on a little project this weekend :D. I got my LED light for this tank built. Went with 3 3watt Cree cool whites and 1 3watt Cree royal blue. All on a dimmable driver. I painted the heatsink black for a cleaner look. All I still need to do is figure out how to hang it over the tank when I get back to work on Monday. I may go with bending a piece of conduit or have the machine shop come up with something. I also dont have a fan on the heatsink the moment. I will test out the heat that these put out and if they get too hot I will pick up a small fan and probably machine it into the heatsink.

Paint drying

LED layout

Testing out the LEDs

#10 ·
Thanks.

So I was gonna resist as much as possible from putting a Betta in the spec but I found a beauty I couldn't pass up. I was at my local Meijer which usually only has generic red or blue Bettas, I spotted a great looking red with light blue/white crowntails. I will get some pictures of him soon, got a busy day ahead of me unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.