The Planted Tank Forum banner

Official SunSun Pimp Club

103K views 493 replies 191 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 ·
SunSun Filters are great bang for the buck. After my review and finding some folks here that have SunSun's, I think it is time for a SunSun pimp club.

To join please post here and put your this in your sig!

SunSun Pimp #(your number here). I will slowly update the original post to reflect this.

To discuss the SunSuns(don't bash them here, head over to the review/discussion in my sig for that!)

1. over_stocked

#389 ·
Well I got the aquatop 500uv. After some initial problems due to Amazon listing it as new but receiving an original and a replacement in used condition, I kept one after being credited back some cash from Amazon to reflect that I was sent a used product.

So right now it is going on my 60g tank and cycling. Since mine is the 500Uv, which is the same thing as the sunsun 404b, I have 4 trays to fill. I kept the bottom tray as that blue pad (snuck the other one from the other unit), so it's only the coarse blue pad filling the entire bottom tray. Next tray I put in a bunch of pot scrubbers that I stacked on their side. I got like 20 in there I think. Third tray has fluval Biomax rings with one of the white filter floss pads that came with the unit on top. Fourth tray has a bunch of carbon + zeolite chips in some panty hose with another one of the white filter floss pads on top. Seems to be doing great so far. Only media I paid for was the Biomax rings ($25 for two boxes) and the carbon + zeolite mix ($12).

Priming was both simple and a pain. Simple because all you had to do was press that button down, release, wait 2 seconds, and press it again. A pain because I had to do this like 40 times to get enough water in the canister to get the pump to start. Also if you "pump" the priming button too fast or too slow then the water being sucked into the canister goes to a trickle. If you pump with the right rhythm then it siphons decently fast, but still takes quite a few pumps to fill enough.

ll in all it's a good unit from what I can tell.

#390 ·
Interesting as every time ive used mine all ive had to do was hit and hold the button down for about 5 seconds release it and listen to the water enter the canister. If you have any water in the canister it wont fill right, I can tell you that. it has to be empty.

Once you have the lines filled and the valve shut off that feeds them.It will also self prime when you connect the lines and open the valves. At least i know mine has. The only thing that makes mine a hassle sometimes is my Co2 reactor inline.

#391 ·
Got mine in last night. Went with the 304.

Christ on a bike this thing is huge. Only instructions I could have used was which way the clip on tube input goes, picture doesn't explain it that well. I got it figured out though. The skimmer seems worthless. As far as I can tell, NO water is skimming through it at all. I had to put some pieces of wood under the elbows going into the tank to get the input and output posistioned right. I will probably be able to remove that once the hose loses its memory and stops trying to make them crooked.

To prime, I just sucked on the output. That is how my dad taught me on his marineland he used to have, its simple and it works. The priming button was pretty useful for getting air out though.

I've got scrubbies, some gravel that was in a homemade air powered filter, pads that were in a hob, a bunch of pillow stuffing, and the joke pads that came with in it for now. Going to order a 4l of seachem matrix I think once I get some cash, or maybe some substrat pro if it is still on sale.

#396 ·
By reduce the flow, do you mean the power of the water spraying out? If so get a drill and make your holes a bit bigger. Be warned, this process is obviously not reversible, but will decrease the pressure of the water, thus reducing the current.

Positioning and orientation is tank dependent really, I prefer my spraybar on the top/side of my tank spraying to the right with the intake directly below it. That's on a 4 foot tank long 2 foot deep tank, your results may vary based on the size and shape of your tank.

#400 ·
ok, my thoughts on the 403 vs 302:

Priming button is much smaller. It IS easier to push down, but with it being smaller it actually pushes/pulls less water/air than the one on the 302. Before i used to just push down and the canister would fill and I could plug it in and be done with it. save for some tilting to get the remaining air out. With the 403 I couldn't actually prime the tank with it at all. After half an hour I just pulled the hoses off and filled the canister myself with a cup and RO water. Once full I plugged it back in and was good to go. not a big deal.

The media tray's are bigger, thicker, and slide in easier. No more wiggling the tray back and forth to ease it out of the canister, just pull straight out and done. Also, I was able to fit 2 trays(sunsun 302 trays) worth of BioMax into a single tray of the 403! Big deal there! I have a whole tray empty at the top as I had nothing left to fill it with.

Flow is much better in the 29 gal. It wasn't a huge increase at all over the 302, but a noticeable one. Definitely can tell it's clearing the tank up better/quicker and the return current at the bottom of the tank is a bit stronger and flowing over more of the foreground plants. The hoses and hose disconnect are just slightly larger than the 302, so you can't just plug in the disconnect/hose assembly from the 302 into the 403, i actually had to switch the disconnect and struggle with the original 302 hoses to get them to go on, I managed to do so with just a little effort and it works quite well.

Overall, it was worth every penny and a nice upgrade to have on the 29gal over the 302.
--

Question though: When you turn on the UV light, is the LED indicator on the top of te canister supposed to light up? or does it only light up when there is a problem? Because mine isn't lit at all so I can't actually tell if the UV is on or not..

#401 ·
I have the 404B. The UV light "indicator" isn't an indicator at all. It's just a piece of glass. The UV light bulb when turns on has some of its light come through that glass. If you turn on UV light and don't actually see any light coming up then your bulb isn't working for some reason.

#403 ·
Want to get another couple of outflow pieces so that the spray bar is the length of my tank. It is currently about half the length and creates a swirl with my floating plants over half of the tank, the other half sits still. They have the CF400 outflow set for $9.99, is that the same size as the CF300? Does anyone have a set they dont use? Thanks!

#404 ·
It should be the same as its 5/8 set up as well. Im looking at modifying mine. I want to run it in a corner from top to bottom on the spray bar. Not horizontally. You can run it the way I want but it takes an additional 90 degree bend. Kills flow. I want it strait into the tube and out.. Then the powerheads push the current with the Co2 coming out of my filters out put.

#411 ·
Very little, I stepped down some PVC pipes & elbows to a really small size, then glued the end of a funnel (backwards) on the end when I was playing around with spraybars. I didn't like the results from my prototype so I stopped tinkering before perfection was achieved, lol. Custom spraybar was much more effective for my situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.