The Planted Tank Forum banner

Red Cherry Shrimp babies and Pleco babies

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  garfieldnfish 
#1 ·
I converted a quarantine tank I was not using to a shrimp tank, have 5 Red Cherry shrimp doing fine in there (30 G tank).

I have a community tank with plecos and had a cave and babies. They were being eaten as fast as they came out (Barbs I think, maybe SAE, maybe Angels but I never saw them down there).

So I grabbed the cave and move the few reaming to the shrimp tank which I figured they would be safe. There were only 5 left.

However... one of the shrimp is about to release her eggs I think.

So will small plecos (maybe 2 weeks since eggs hatched) eat baby Red Cherry Shrimp?

This will be a one time problem, I think -- I'll move them back to the community tank (or to auction) once they get a month or so old, but right now...

Frankly I'd rather have the shrimp babies if I have to choose so...?

#4 ·
They should be fine I have baby 45 L144 blue eyed plecos in my 25 and there are hundreds of cherry's in the same tank.

Make sure to feed the little plecos Bok Choy or Kale, steam for 3 minutes and stick in cold water then just rubberband it to a rock or use a clip, take it out after 2 days.

#6 ·
I have kept adult plecos with shrimp and they do ok. Right now I keep shrimp with adult clown plecos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.