The Planted Tank Forum banner

You think a betta in a cup is bad....

9K views 43 replies 36 participants last post by  caique 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I think the turtle one is the worst. They are very messy and I can see them being the first ones to die. I don't think there's a way to feed them or change their water. They just slowly starve to death just like the shrimp in the ecosphere, but just a lot faster.

#9 ·
This is awful, I just now read this and it's sickening to think people would do something like this all in the name of what they consider fashion. That's horrible to think those little innocent fish, turtles, etc are being treated like this. Someone should smack the person who came up with the idea and the people who support this. It's depressing to read stuff like this. Hope someone does something about this soon!!! It makes me really angry...:angryfire

#27 ·
I understand that you're trying to be understanding but this is why I have become hostile to relavatism. Just because other cultures have a belief doesn't mean we are bound to respect said belief. If I come from a culture that says I have to hunt you, do you have to respect me shooting at you? What if I yell that I'm being oppressed?

I used to be much more friendly to this concept, but not any longer and it is stuff like this key chain that is a good example why. The fact is that either approach projects your own culture onto someone else, so why not simply follow what you believe to be right? In this case this is simply not right to do if only because this is unsustainable and wasteful (forget the inhumanity for a moment).

Bump:
Actually, isn't it algae that generates most of the oxygen for our planet?
I'm not certain, but I think that the rainforests produce a majority of all LAND based oxygen and the algae produces a majority of the WATER/SEA/OCEAN based oxygen. I think the algae, overall, is thought to produce a plurality of our planetary oxygen.

Like I said, I might have remembered this wrong, but I've quoted it wrong in the past, as have others, and decided to look it up at some point and realized that it's a bit more complex that most people realize. Man, if I had a dollar for every time I've had realization in my life.....

#11 ·
as disgusting as this is, it makes me wonder how long they can really live. if they can survive for any length of time in those little pouches, i want some of that stuff they use next time i ship fish...

#13 ·
I try to respect other cultures and beliefs, but there really should be some base values constant across all humanity.

I'd also imagine the Buddhist Chinese are not happy about this, and would say it serves karma for people who participate in this to be reincarnated as an animal... in a keychain.

#14 ·
in society today, seeing such acts just makes being nonjudgemental that much more difficult.

What you can do is not support these products and they wont be popular and be sold at your local petco/petsmart...

IMHO this is just viewed just as those chopping down the trees in the rainforests that generate most of the oxygen for our planet in order to "make a living". There are those that try to exploit others to make a living, and those that are producers that give back.

#28 ·
I think if I saw someone with one of these, I would approach him/her and say "that is really cool! Where did you get it?." Then I would ask to get a closer look at it, take it in my hands and hold it up and admire it. Then I would run real fast somewhere and free the poor animal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.