The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hip Replacement Surgery

6K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  WestHaven 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am 28 years old. My right hip has been bothering me since late June/early July. I saw my regular doctor a month ago and he took x-rays, and I got to see an orthopedic surgeon today. I have seen the x-rays, and my right hip is completely worn out. I have the hip of someone twice my age. The doctors say it just happens to some people for no reason. My hip has experienced avascular necrosis. In other words, a lack of blood flow has caused the ball of my hip to degenerate and be worn out. Other than this I am in very good health.

I want to know if any one here has had experience with hip replacement surgery. I am very, very stressed out.

#41 ·
Hi everyone, I'm resting comfortably at home. Here's how it all went down.

I had to be at the hospital at noon on Tuesday. I had no food or water for 12 hours before that. I got called in for surgery prep around 1:30. The surgery started between 2-2:30, and I was out of surgery after 4. I was out of recovery and resting in my hospital room by 5. I had no feelings of nausea or confusion because they gave me a spinal anesthetic and IV sedatives for the surgery. The spinal started wearing off after 10 pm so they started giving me two tablets of Percocet every four hours for the pain. They had me stay in bed all that night/morning because I had a catheter in (which didn't bother me at all).

At approximately 8 am on the day after surgery, the therapists tried to get me out of bed and walking. I was sitting on the edge of the bed and passed out from the pain/dizziness. I fell backwards onto the bed. Three times during the late morning/afternoon they were able to get me standing on my own two feet but I was still in too much pain to walk. I started walking that night. I just needed a full day of painkillers in my system.

Since then I have been doing very well. They had me walking down the halls in the hospital, and they even had me go up and down a short flight of stairs this morning.

Right now I am taking 1-2 Percocets every 6-8 hours for the pain. My right leg is swollen about twice the size of the left leg, but it doesn't hurt very much unless someone touches it.

#43 ·
My wife had a hip replacement about 30 years ago, and had very few problems with it. It was a big relief to her. Now she is planning to get the other one replaced this summer. And, the first one will soon have to be replaced. She is just past her first 3/4 century, so a bit older than you are.

#44 ·
Hey Westhaven,

Why is your right leg double the size of your left I had no such problems.

Have you talked to your doctor about the swelling?

I obviously had some swelling around my incision but not like what your talking about.

Bump:
My wife had a hip replacement about 30 years ago, and had very few problems with it. It was a big relief to her. Now she is planning to get the other one replaced this summer. And, the first one will soon have to be replaced. She is just past her first 3/4 century, so a bit older than you are.
Hey Hoppy,

What do they do when they have to do the hip socket again do they just cut off more of the femur and stick another rod down it and then R&R the hip joint.

This is why I had resurfacing done im only 54 and when 75 80 I don't want to deal with another replacement.

This way if needed they can just do a full hip replacement because my femur is still intact.

#47 ·
Hey Westhaven,

Why is your right leg double the size of your left I had no such problems.

Have you talked to your doctor about the swelling?

I obviously had some swelling around my incision but not like what your talking about.
I don't know why my leg is so swollen, but I plan on calling my doctor about it tomorrow. It doesn't really hurt but it feels awkward being so swollen. As of today, I am walking around the house at normal speed, putting full weight on my leg, and I am only using a walker to help keep my balance because my balance isn't back to normal yet. I can walk short distances without any assistance. I am only taking minimal painkillers.

#48 · (Edited)
I don't know why my leg is so swollen, but I plan on calling my doctor about it tomorrow. It doesn't really hurt but it feels awkward being so swollen. As of today, I am walking around the house at normal speed, putting full weight on my leg, and I am only using a walker to help keep my balance because my balance isn't back to normal yet. I can walk short distances without any assistance. I am only taking minimal painkillers.

Hey Westhaven,

Was thinking about your swollen leg and I thought maybe it has to do with the fact that they had to pound a steel rod down your femur. :biggrin::biggrin:

If you are on very light painkillers you must be doing well.

I stopped all painkillers 9 days after surgery all I'm taking is Tylenol 3 times a day, but I have been up and taking care of all my tanks on my own now. I'm still using a cane because my physical therapist says it is best to walk straight and not limp. I certainly can walk without the cane but for long distances I choose the cane because it makes me walk at a normal pace.
I also have been riding my bike and doing a bunch of exercises every day.

Also have been massaging bruised area around incision which is basically not bruised at all now, getting staples out tomorrow.:bounce:

Was just talking to a friend of mine, he had the same surgery as you 2 years ago and he said he also had no swelling of his leg, just around the incision.

I'm assuming you are exaggerating when you say your right leg is double the size of your other leg.

I see no reason for you leg to be that swollen maybe someone else can chime in hear.

I would get in touch with my doctor ASAP, if you cant talk to your doctor at least talk to an advice nurse.

#50 ·
Hey Mike,

Ya I read that you had both hips done after I posted.

So many doctors now a days recommend the THR in fact a friend of mine went through the same thing trying to decide on THR or BHR. He ended up having THR because his surgeon said if he was going to operate on his mom or dad he would do the THR.

Now he is thinking he should have done the BHR after seeing me and my recovery.

I went off pain meds 9 days after surgery and am walking now without a cane as of today, had surgery 12 days ago.

When did your friends have there BHR done?

This is the problem with BHR if it works out well then your set if not your kind of screwed.

#52 ·
Hi. It's been two weeks since my surgery. I saw my surgeon and his assistant today and had the staples removed. It feels great not having them in anymore. They were the last thing that was causing any pain. They said that my incision is healing very well and that my recovery is going very well. I'm allowed to drive a car again. :) I go back to see them in a month, and they will probably allow me to go back to work again.

I also had a PT appointment after seeing my surgeon. They are moving me onto more difficult exercises now.

#56 ·
Hey Westhaven, glad to hear things are going well. I'm 57 and had my first hip done about 13 years ago. The surgery back then was much tougher than my second one 2 years ago. They do far less damage to the muscles and other tissue now. Recovery should be relatively quick for you and I'm sure you will be happy you got your hip fixed. I put off my second one forever because of the long, hard recovery from the first. After getting the second one done I regretted not having it done sooner. Follow your PT routine faithfully and you should be surprised how quickly you regain your strength and range of movement. I have some minor pain right at the incision site on rare occasions but the hip itself is 100%. Good luck and keep us posted!

#57 ·
I returned to work at Meijer today and I walked 8 miles! My legs feel great, but my back hurts pretty bad. I need to get used to walking so much every day again. I have the day off tomorrow. I am just working Monday-Wednesday-Friday this week to see how I feel. Next week I will probably work close to full-time hours (40 hours). I also went for a bike ride for the first time in 18 months! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.