The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help me scape my new mr aqua 48.8 tb haven

6K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  cape 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got this tank in 3 weeks ago and I have been sitting on it until I got my filter and lily pipes. It will house all my tb soon with all my female adult mischlings f3 and f4. I will be sanding the manzanita so it is tan, then will be attaching moss in places. I will have black blasting sand down first to build a base and then a 1-2" thick top of Amazonia because my water is already soft and much more will bring the ph sub5. Scape is also done with onko stone. I will be adding bylxa j. around the corner of the manzanita and onko stone. Will also be adding some downi some where, and trying to get some input what other plants to do. Was thinking some crypts, but looking for other ideas. Please help and point me in the direction that would optimize this tank as it will have root tabs but no fertz or co2. Lighting is 2 planted plus finnex light. I know that is a good amount but will be adding legs to make the ligh 3" higher and will be about 21" off the substrate.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't have tank envy as this was my most expensive tank I have ever bought. I love so much I ordered another, but it is going to sit for a while until we buy a bigger house. Then I am switching all but my 90 gallon wave tank to rimless mr aquas or customs. I am aiming in the house we will buy to have a 12x14 aquatics room. So I can do two 48.8, 8 33.6, 4-6 custom 28.6 rimless 4 17.2, and 3 12x12 cubes. Going to be one big shrimp and fish room. Doing custom wood racks I did on auto cad.

But I need help with plants on this tank

#6 ·
plants kinda depend on budget. a great forground plant i have found is c. parva. a great size for shrimp but not cheap and takes quite a while to fill in unless you buy alot. i bet crypts in general would do well in the tank, and the norms of moss, an anubias. going to be hard to keep shrimp and plants in a good balance in a tank that size lol. needle leaf java fern worked well in my crs tank and kinda fun watching shrimp on the long leaves. im a big fan of java fern trident as well. mine always grows fast.

#7 ·
I like parva, and I think I might do a Crypt Pink Flamingo in there with a couple metalic red affinis. But looking maybe for a good Echinodorus, I just need some ideas on them. not to expensive of one but a nice one.

#8 ·
Would be interested to know how ADA on top of blasting sand works... keep us updated.

I love rimless tanks and have 5 of them myself, but still had to add covers to them to fight against water vaporizing so they don't look as nice as they should. I need to add lots of RO in winter due to heat and dryness.

#9 ·
I have to add tons of RO durring summer! this room gets sun 3/4 of the day, so I run a dehumidifer in it to help stop the humidity going into other rooms. I have fans on all tanks durring the summer, and as well sometimes float frozen water bottles on the top to. I will probably go through 8-10 gallons of ro a day in the summer in this room.

#10 ·
Scape is finished. I will get pics tomorrow night when I get some plants in it and flood it. Hand sanding manzanita because someone stole your tools (all my power tools and mechanic tools) out of your garage 6 months ago is a pain in the butt. Wish I had that palm sand. Might go get one tomorrow for the next project my 90 gallon wave planted discus tank.

#12 ·
It is flooded. When the cloudiness settles i will take a pic. Not fully planted but started some fissidens attached in a small area of the manzanita and some xmas moss. Also added some b.japocina

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

#14 ·
In my 20l if i add 2 16oz water bottles to the tank in a hour can drop a whole tank 2* in 2 and a half hours it will drop 5* some days. Now the affect last about 4-5 hours but in conjunction witha decent fan it will hold abot 2-3* lower than the start

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Should be soon, setting up getting 2 affinis metallic reds this week. have some other stuff coming in to. Not going to go too crazy, but I will be adding more fissidens and Xmas moss, and probably going to get some weeping too for the thrid branch. So the 3 major branches will each have different moss.

#19 ·
Thanks. 60% water change today! and I have plants arriving tomorrow and will be adding a hob I have on another tank to help seed the tank. I am running a eheim 2217 on this with aqua music lily pipes

#20 ·
Here is a little update of some recent plants. Some s.repens and downi I saved from pet smarts plant section got it 50% off been reviving it in another tank. This will go in my planted 90 gallon once I get it drilled and wet dry going on it.

By the way I want to praise how nice this tank is made, and I am glad I bought 2. It is built really well and is very clear in person.

#30 ·
You have so many amazing tanks going. It's interesting that you get soft RO water. Here in downtown Sacramento the RO water still comes out at 7.4 PH

If you don't mind sharing, where do you get your Mr Aqua tanks locally? Jo Jo's? I know I won't get the discount but I have been itching to get a 12L going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.