The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anybody play instruments?

6K views 71 replies 47 participants last post by  Regenesis 
#1 ·
I was just thinking if anyone here plays any instruments (or played an instrument) and we could share our experiences!

I'll start. I play piano and started in 1st grade, and am currently in 9th grade. I am "studying" improvisational jazz. I also take violin lessons, which I started in May 2002, but am already in Suzuki book 3, and play in my school orchestra. I think I have a passion for the violin since that is usually the first thing I do when I get home, it is as addicting as video games were (which I don't play anymore)!

Hope this is a successful post!

-Tim

#2 ·
Well I'll get the post started!

I have been playing the guitar for over 6 years now. I enjoy playing pretty much all hard, metal, thrash, alternative metal music. My favorite band is Creed and I love playing their stuff. Oh yeah and if you know who Joe Satriani is, he is my IDOL! :hehe:

I also have been playing the drums for 4 years now. I wouldn't exactly call myself talented at them but I am pretty good and it is just something I like to do as a stress reliever.

Then there was a short stint with the keyboard. I played for a short year. I never really enjoyed practicing thus after a year of "torture" I decided to quit.
:sad:

Kyle

#3 ·
It seems I've tried everything for a short while but never became proficient at anything in particular. I did saxophone in High School and joined their Jazz Band. Then I switched to guitar, then bass, then drums, then guitar again (acoustic mostly). Right now I'm thinking about trying the Cello. If Joe Satriani is the guitar god, then I want to be Yo Yo Ma.

#5 ·
Hi: I do not play a musical instrument.
I have been an avid listener for many,many years(Lonnie Johnson)Guitar
My personal favotite is Wes Montgomery.
He is no longer with us.Check his playing out. Never used a pick.Others have tried to play just using their thumb. None have
mastered this as he has.
My favorite by him.- While we were young
Charlie

#6 ·
Hi Kyle...see you play many intruments, and suppose one is guitar??? I am trying to get a sweet guitar for my son for xmas, but not sure what I am doing :). One I have my eye on is a Brownsville Thug hollow body. My son is very talaneted. Can play Jasco (septulra), some Yes stuff, and even some smooth jazz (Acoustic Achelemy). He is 18. He really would love a true Gibson, but well thats a little out of range. If you have any clues on the Brownsvile, I would sure appreciate it!

#7 ·
Hey Molly, I haven't seen you post here for awhile!

I myself have never played any brownsville's before but I definately have heard some good things about them. Sorry that is about the best I can help you out there.

Now onto other guitars. It would really help to have a price range however I will take a stab in the dark and see what I can do.

Does he definately want an electric? Because if you are looking to save some money in the long run then a semi-accoustic might be what you are looking for. There are many nice steel string semi-accoustics in the $300 + range.

If he for sure wants an electric than you could check out a Brownsville. However if he wants a gibson but it isn't in your budget then check out the epiphone's. They are very similar and (i am pretty sure about this but don't quote me) gibson owns them. They are pretty much not as nice gibsons however they play pretty well and very similar to a Gibson.

Also, check out some Ibanez's. they are really, really nice for the how much they cost.

What I would recommend to you is to take your son down to a music store, and let him play the guitars that are in your price range. Let him get a feel for all of them and then let him make the final decision. You can't go wrong this way!

Kyle

#8 ·
Hey Kyle:

Thanks for the info. My son visits (or I should say used to visit Mars on a regular basis) of course he always does for the gibson Les Pauls ...geee at $2000, I doubt that will ever be in my budget range. He has an Ibanez 7 string and bass. I ended up getting the Thug, he seems really happy with it. Thats makes #8 in his collection. He also has 2 acoustics, a 12 string and a Martin Sigma (not sure if thats right). I'll tell him about Epi being owned by Gibson, I doubt he knows that, so it's good info to have.

#10 ·
i have played the guitar for about 18 years. started as a 12 year old in the "heavy metal" 80's...
mom thinks it's quite funny that i now play in a country band!

#11 ·
I started out learning piano for about a year when I was five or so. This was a good thing because when I got back to it a few years later, I knew how to read music (even though I still had to work at performing it). Then guitar (folk), saxophone in highschool marching band, and recorder for fun with the family. Unfortunately I don't play much of anything anymore because I a) don't have a piano, guitar or sax or b) don't have time or folks to play with. I still try to play some piano when I have access to one :)

#12 ·
I also play piano. never took lessons just picked it up by ear. I'm no mozart but not bad I can read notes but I can learn faster by listening to what I want to play then trying to play it. I can play the drums also. Always wanted to learn the guitar. Maybe someday.

#13 ·
I've played saxophone (all four: soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone) for eight years now (wow, that doesn't sound like long, but it sure feels like a long time!) and currently play in the Concert Band at Texas A&M University. I also took snare drum lessons and now just dabble in marching percussion, such as Durm Corps International (although I don't actually march with anybody). My girlfriend (whom I met in the band here) plays flute and piccolo. SNPiccolo, do you actually PLAY the piccolo or not? :)

#15 ·
He, he! My first post on the site as a newbie and it's about music :)

I've been playing guitar for about 13 years. I'm nowhere near as good as I'd like to be and would love to be in a band. I have some music up at:

http://www.mp3.com/13_13

I'm mainly influenced by Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Steve Vai. And my member name, uv777bk, is the model of my (Steve Vai signature 7 String Ibanez) guitar.

#17 ·
I'm a bass player in a swinging blues band. Been playing for about 20 years. Here's a pic of me with the band at some club in Virginia last year

#19 ·
I play piano, have since i was in kindergarten (I am a sophomore in college now) original "band" instrument was alto sax, switched it up to bari sax in 8th grade, then my freshman year in high school switched to tuba. Played in the Purdue bands last semester, not much time. dabbled with the trumpet, baritone, violin, guitar, and can play the ukelele.

~Doug

#20 ·
Awesome! Go saxes!!! It's fun to see this topic get longer and longer from time to time. :D

#24 ·
15 year drummer here. I just hooked up with a new 3 piece acoustic project last night. Has a dylan/n.young/petty vibe with just acoustic guitar, bass, drums and harmonica. Pretty cool vibe and the guys seem nice also. We are playing again on Sat so will see how it goes from here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.