more thoughts(and pics) on breeding shrimp - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #46
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

the tank in question:

its just algae and hornwort. ill probably remove all the hornwort at some point. the algae is spreading around nicely.

kinda wish i would have left the tank alone for a bit before taking the pic... i had just cut the hornwort on the right in half and stuck its top in the left back corner. left the tank a bit cloudy.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #47
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for those of you who remember it, that shrimp tank used to be this tank:

my wife decided to tear it down and turn it into a shirmp tank. taking care of it was too much of a hassle, since the plants all grew way too fast. we were cutting our ludwigia glandulosa in half once a week, and that was one of the slower growers. my wife didnt feel like dealing with it and i lack the time with my arabic studies.

so, we agreed it might be best to keep it as a shrimp/algae tank. so far so good. im liking the explosion in shrimp population. plus, its a great place to keep the little shrimp and let them grow out without having to devote another tank to them. i have completely diversified my population in a pretty short amount of time by doing this.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #48
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i moved my dark shrimp strain and did some culling. these are those that remain.

ill be getting pics of the other two as i move them.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #49
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

What are you doing with the culls

Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #50
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

going back into the main shrimp tank with all the others. they will be used for some aggressive experimentation later on. all my culls will go back into the main tank. that way, i can maintain a population that is pretty much as genetically divers as the population i started with.

i will be pulling from this main general population for later experiments. ill need a lot of shrimp for that, since i will be subjecting them to some harsh conditions later on to select for other traits. once i get a strain to breed true, ill start doing the same experiments with them.

i intend to test some ideas i have bouncing around in my head about how color is expressed.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #51
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Beautiful job Are those the Malawa?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #52
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Beautiful job Are those the Malawa?
yep.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #53
ctls
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any pics of the malawa under some light so we can see how far they have come. I love reading/ looking at all the shrimp genetics/ breeding threads. I'm kind of interested in the malawas but pretty sure they wouldn't live in my high gh water.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Did you separate the blues yet?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #55
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Did you separate the blues yet?
im still in the process of that, actually. i have some blues already separated, but its proving to be quite difficult to catch the darn things in the 55g.

to that end, i have rearranged it so that i can put a net down on one side. i have been putting the food dish inside of it, and every once in a while i just bait them and catch a whole mass of shrimp and hope the ones i want are in there.

i have been pulling a few shrimp a week this way.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #56
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctls View Post
Any pics of the malawa under some light so we can see how far they have come. I love reading/ looking at all the shrimp genetics/ breeding threads. I'm kind of interested in the malawas but pretty sure they wouldn't live in my high gh water.
they arent really any farther along yet, and i dont imagine they will be until at least the next couple generations.

so far as your water goes, mine is liquid rock. i really dont think you can get any harder, so i doubt your high gh water is going to bother them.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #57
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

UPDATE:

i tore down all the shrimp tanks. well, almost all of them. i still have the 50 set up, but i tore down all the individual tanks that had my selected shrimp in them. they are now mixed back into the main population.

why? my wife and i are trying to adopt a special needs child.
we would need another bedroom though, so i decided to tear down my fish room. all my breeding projects, fish and shrimp alike, are henceforth suspended until we find a way to set something up for them later.

i have no idea how long it will take till we get back to things. we still have all the fish and shrimp, but they are kept communally, and no effort will be put forth to breed them until we pass the home studies. after that, im sure ill start getting creative and find ways to start breeding them again.

until then, this thread will receive no further updates.

sorry folks.

ill start updating again whenever i get started back up.