The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Fisherman's 20 Long Journal - The Workbench

25K views 283 replies 25 participants last post by  thefisherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm just learning how to grow plants and keep my fish happy. I guess I have a Noah's Ark approach to planted tanks... collect 2-3 of each and shove em into the tank and hope they grow lol.

20G LONG - WORKBENCH (11-19-11)

Specifics:
Tank: Deep Blue 20g Long - 30"X12"X12"
Substrate: 40lbs Eco-complete black
Equipment: Ehiem 2217
Heater: Hydor ETH 200
Lighting: Deep Blue 230 2X T5HO, 24W 6500k (Azoo lamps)
CO2: Matheson Dual Stage inline GLA diffuser
Ferts: modified EI
Photoperiod: 10hrs

Flora:
Crypt. Walkeri Petchii
Crypt. Beckettii
Crypt. Wendtii Green
Crypt. Wendtii Red
Crypt. Wendtii De Witt
Crypt. Wendtii Tropica
Crypt Wedntii Mioya
Crypt. Blassii
Crypt. Undulata
Crypt. Pontderiifolia
Crypt. Parva
Crypt. Albida
Crypt. Ferruginea "Sg. Sempit"
Dwarf Lily
Egleria fluctuans
Sunset Hygro
Limnophila Repens mini
Staurogyne Repens

Fauna:
14 Cardinal Tetra
2 Black Tetra
1 Khuli Loach
2 Cory
3 Otocinclus
2 EBR's

See less See more
#267 ·
You probably don't need two bulbs on, unless you want to keep you Staurogyne really short, or unless the Pantanal isn't popping. You could probably do a three hour burst without too much problem. The crypts don't mind, and it might help to get those nice colors that you would like!

Tank looks good, Ryan! Glad to see this thread up and running again!

#268 ·
Thanks for the kudos Don/Mario, its definately uplifting since I idolize both your tanks! :p

I'm in agreement with you Don about the light. I am totally paranoid about blasting the tank with light as I've developed greenspot algae on glass and some BBA on the slow poke crypt leaves.

I'm not convinced either that lighting is the limiting factor....because the star repens doesn't look too lanky, rather compact. I would take this as a sign there is ample lighting at the substrate.

What I DO notice is that the base of each stem is suffering and most likely will melt :( the tops have promising growth however...

i'm thinkimg the crypts and star repens are unaffected as they seem to be rooted well in the substrate (that is nutrient rich) BUT I noticed my Blyxa Japonica seems to be browning out as well...as I have been bombarding the water column with nutrients daily (target NO3 = +/- 30ppm) I am thinking now, could it be my co2?

(I use an inline diffuser and outflow positioned close to the surface... am I off-gassing?) OR the more I think of it, Could it be poor flow?! :O

I mean I have ample flow up top, but perhaps I have a deadspot close to the substrate resulting in poor co2/nutrient transport. maybe my needy plants are telling me something, perhaps I should invest in a nano powerhead or change up my outflow config?

my head hurts lol

#269 ·

so here's a shot of te remaining L Pantanal I planted last week. As you can see the tops seem to be sprouting new growth, but the base of the stems don't look happy :(

two out of the six stems planted melted from the base up... i have one stem section i'm allowing to float to see if it will bounce back.

still stumped on what could be the limiting factor

#277 ·
c. usteriana - i picked her up out of my emersed tank with thoughts of transplanting her submersed into the 20L... as i slowly began to de-pot her, i suddenly got leaf slapped by one of the 12" x 3" bullated fronds. I put the pot back down immediately... she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon! :O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.