The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anthony's ADA 120p

105K views 486 replies 97 participants last post by  boxhead1990 
#1 ·
I'm still in shock right now that I even have this tank. When my wife asked what I wanted for my birthday, I never thought she would get it for me. It was more of a joke (well I really wasn't kidding) between us. Well, she did it!

I needed a new tank because my 50g was in really bad shape. I scratched the glass really bad with a mag cleaner. Also the silicone on one side is really bad. You can see a bubble really close to the edge. So I need to replace this tank. I already have a 48" light that lights an 18" tall tank. I also have a stand that can hold a footprint of 48"x18". So the 120p is a perfect fit.

I will not be putting the substrate from the 50g in the new tank, so 3 bags of AS are soaking in a plastic tub right now. I might need one more bag? The wood, rocks and most of the plants will move over. I have some plans for a little re-scape, but I'm still open to suggestion from anyone.

Here is a pic of the 50g that will be coming down.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Most of the fish will also not be making the move. Discus are going to be my main focus in this tanks and I will be getting a few more. I would like to keep the fish down to a few species. I would also like to do this with the plants as well.

120p and AS.

Attachments

#11 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the ada aquasoil aging process?

Currently, I have it outside in a 10g tub and I'm doing water changes twice a day. Is this the best way? I have a few HOB's. Would they help if I loaded them with ???. I really want to set this tank up soon because the clock is ticketing with the old one. Just the idea of coming home to my fish dead and 50g on the floor..... Yikes! Plus I have this bada$$ tank waiting in the spare bedroom.

Help!

#12 ·
Antbug, I want to personally (over the internet) thank you for this thread. I said "See honey, his wife is soooooo nice and into the hobby that she got him a 120-P for his birthday. I need a girl like that!" Shes not one to be outdone so we'll see if I get one too.
BTW, the piece of driftwood you sent is smothered in peacock moss and fits into the new scape perfectly so THANKS!

#14 ·
No, I still havent done my taxes so I dont have another camera yet :( You will for sure see it soon enough and get due credit for it :) I guess if she gets me an ADA I might have to send it back covered as a thank you :) I cant wait to see what your plans are for this! The same as your 55 or something completely different?

#15 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the ada aquasoil aging process?
Not a clue...using mulm or your old filter might help, but I doubt even old filters have the ability to tame the ammonia that would leach from new Aquasoil...I'm not sure about the Nitrites either, both being toxic to fish...new tanks usually take 3 1/2 weeks to become safe.

#17 · (Edited)

Thanks for the info Dan. I guess I'm hoping for a magic solution that doesn't exist .

Congrats antbug and welcome to the 120-p club .

Thank you. I'm a proud member!

To cycle your tank faster, keep up with your water changes (I'd say at least 80% WCs 3 times a week for the first 2-3 weeks. Running an established filter(s) on it will also speed up the cycling process as well. I was able to stock my tank after 7 days with this method. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/110982-ada-120-p-journal-river-wild-7.html#post1106098

What's your plan for the hardscape?

*addon* I also forgot to mention... for the above method to work the way it did for me, you have to start off with a heavy plant mass right after you fill it with water. The more plants the better.

Right now I have 3 bag of AS outside in a tub and I'm doing 2 water changes a day. The tub is only 20g so I'm not sure how this will affect the process.

Would putting an established filter on the tank kill the biological bacteria in the filter? Is there any media that would help the ammonia?

I'm still trying to figure out the hardscape. I want to use the manzy from this tank and maybe the rocks. So far I'm leaning towards.....

Left side....

Manzy covered in peacock moss coming out of a large Java fern, maybe needle leaf. Blyxa Jap. surrounding and covering most of the ground. Some kind of a stem plant (hopefully something with a nice redish color) along the back wall. I'm open for suggestion on this one? I will also be putting a piece of black vinyl on the back wall to help hide the equipment.

Ride side....

I was thinking of a nice slope going to the far back corner and using the Black Coastal Rock to help hold the slope and add character. just a simple Glosso rocky hill is want I'm looking for on this side. Still unsure on the flora. Maybe DHG belem or something else?

#16 ·
Congrats antbug and welcome to the 120-p club ;).

To cycle your tank faster, keep up with your water changes (I'd say at least 80% WCs 3 times a week for the first 2-3 weeks. Running an established filter(s) on it will also speed up the cycling process as well. I was able to stock my tank after 7 days with this method. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...a-120-p-journal-river-wild-7.html#post1106098

What's your plan for the hardscape?

*addon* I also forgot to mention... for the above method to work the way it did for me, you have to start off with a heavy plant mass right after you fill it with water. The more plants the better.

#20 ·
Hmmm never heard of that method before. Is that so the bacteria in the water from the established aquarium would add to the bio content of the "mature" filters being used? ADA recommends daily water changes for the first week. So your basically initiating the decomposition of the organic matter in the aquasoil which in theory would speed up the leaching and bio process assuming the filters you are using are either already mature or maturing alongside the aquasoil.

#22 ·
Just a quick update....

I picked up my garden mat today. I know these are expensive, but the shop I ordered my tank from hooked me up as a thank you for all the business I send their way.

I also went to the sign shop today and got a nice piece of black vinyl. This will hide all my equipment as well as the window behind the tank.

Things are coming together.

#36 ·
Lookin good!

What kinda vinyl is that? I can't tell if it's see through or not. I didn't like mine and ripped it off last night. Stowed it away just in case I have a change of heart later :)
It's not transparent. Just intermediate grade vinyl.

I have the hardscape in and it's filled. The water is very cloudy, so no pics as of yet. After some clear water and a few plants, I'll post some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.