The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planting New High Tech Tank

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  R.sok 
#1 ·
Is it best to have a good number of plants on hand when planting a high tech tank or is it okay to only have some and plant the rest later? I have a 10 gallon high tech tank I'm starting up soon and the only plants I already have on hand are a bit of HC, DHG 'belem', and several stems of Rotala 'Yao yai'. I intend for the tank to have various species of Rotalas when it's done.

#2 ·
I'm considering a rescape and uptick in lighting. I know if I do I'll plant fast growers that I'll eventually pull. I'm planning on devoting a lot of space to dhg belem but don't want the tank filled with light and ferts for a couple weeks while it sits around deciding what it's going to do. But some people aren't as intimidated by algae as I am....and are much better at growing plants in water.

#3 ·
From my experience planting light doesn't work out for me, I constantly had to battle algae. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on all the plants at once you could always buy maybe 1 or two fast growing plants, floaters maybe until you get the rest of everything else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.