The Filterless Tank Picture Thread - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #76
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Saw this thread and figured it is a perfect place to share my filterless shrimp bowl. The bowl sits on the little fluval edge stand with the built in light.
Here is a better shot of the inside of it. The green mesh up front is from a luffa and is securing some moss to some lava rock.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #77
HuntCast
Algae Grower

How many gallons is the bowl?
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #78
difrent7
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntCast View Post
How many gallons is the bowl?
It is just a 1 gallon bowl that I got for free from a friend. Down the road I want to pick up a bigger bowl or some small unique tank to fit in there but for now perfect for the couple shrimp and small snails I throw into my main tank to feed my assassins.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #79
HuntCast
Algae Grower

Looks great. I am torn on mine. I want to pop a couple ghost shrimp in there, but I think less than a gallon might be too small. Really, it is only about a liter or so.
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #80
difrent7
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntCast View Post
Looks great. I am torn on mine. I want to pop a couple ghost shrimp in there, but I think less than a gallon might be too small. Really, it is only about a liter or so.
I have read it is safe to keep about 10 cherry shrimp per gallon so I would imagine a couple ghost shrimp won't hurt. Just make sure your tank is cycled.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #81
Peterstunt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Shrimp bowl

This one started it's life as a filtered tank, but I lost interest in it. So, migrated it all over to this awesome bowl that gets the perfect amount of sunlight. Been inspired to do more since this one has been re born.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21878-IMG_20140809_2406533282145330192.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	356777  

Peterstunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #82
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default My 2 cents on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Man View Post
I love this thread!

What are the pros and cons of powerheads though? aren't there some pond critters / plants that want a still pond?

Anyone have an opinion on whether to move the water or not? Do you lose microfauna by moving the water around with a powerhead?
If you are familiar/w those air driven sponge filters...there is nothing that says you couldn't just use the up-draft tube from one of those for water movement. Also for more of it in the on-line stores they sell replacement tubes for undergravel filters and those are 1" in diameter. And those same companies also sell the spigots with the righ hand angle at the top
for the tube.
Since my tank has a filter it's not in here. But I built in the filter which works on the same principle using air instead of a pump motor.
I did this specifically so that baby fish/shrimp and daphnia can go through without being hurt. In the first picture the water comes in on the lower left, up and then down through the filter media and back up through a tube that lets out where the bubbles are in the second picture. It has no screen/pads that can trap those mentioned critters.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43401
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43393
But you can just use the pick up tube of an undergravel filter to move water without hurting anything.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #83
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
If you are familiar/w those air driven sponge filters...there is nothing that says you couldn't just use the up-draft tube from one of those for water movement. Also for more of it in the on-line stores they sell replacement tubes for undergravel filters and those are 1" in diameter. And those same companies also sell the spigots with the righ hand angle at the top
for the tube.
Since my tank has a filter it's not in here. But I built in the filter which works on the same principle using air instead of a pump motor.
I did this specifically so that baby fish/shrimp and daphnia can go through without being hurt. In the first picture the water comes in on the lower left, up and then down through the filter media and back up through a tube that lets out where the bubbles are in the second picture. It has no screen/pads that can trap those mentioned critters.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43401
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43393
But you can just use the pick up tube of an undergravel filter to move water without hurting anything.
I would add that, based on my experience, you can also use airstones to produce sufficient movement. Our 10-gallon has been without a filter for several months now. The only current in the tank is the result of one small airstone. It isn't much. But the tank stays remarkably clear with two albino cats, a clown loach, a bamboo shrimp, an apple snail, and twelve billion trumpet snails. I suspect this clarity has something to do with the duckweed also.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #84
brandon429
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

The reef vase I have ran for nine years is airstone only with no filtration just like the planted vase above... Most wouldn't think the concept works with saltwater but it works just the same~
Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #85
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just in case you not have seen this, some reading for you filterless fans
http://naturalaquariums.com
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote