The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first planted tank! And my first posting! Need some advice from the gurus.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kevmo911 
#1 ·
Hello, so I have got my first planted tank going, and I would like some general advice. Its a 20 gallon, pretty heavily planted, with 10 little guppies enjoying themselves. My lighting situation worries me though, I have a Coralife dual fixture (2x 14 watt) and a standard aquarium light fixture (1x 14 watts) totaling 42 watts (2 watts per gallon). Is that enough for this size tank? I am injecting co2 with a DIY set-up, because I really want a VERY lush tank. So what do you guys think? And thank you in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah that lighting is fine. If you ever want to upgrade a little and clean things up with your lighting lookup the 24" Current USA http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Fresh...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1303992854&sr=1-13

Thats what I have and its a great light fixture. Plus its probably the cheapest 2x24W T5HO fixture you will find.

For Co2 I recomend http://www.amazon.com/CO2-System-50...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1303992952&sr=1-13 for standard or they make a paintball version if you dont want a huge tank. Personally I got the paintball version and after 1 1/2 months of continous 24/7 use of 1-2BPS its still near full.

#5 ·
Wow, that is a cheap HO fixture. I am really considering getting a HO fixture, and that will probably be the one. People tell me that my 42 watts is good for my 20 gallon, but it just doesn't seem to be growing very well. Thanks for your response!

#7 ·
That lighting is fine for what you have. The DIY CO2 isn't necessary, but does help. Some fertilizers (including root tabs) will also help. If you're going for a "lush" look, as you said, consider tying/gluing anubias or moss to the driftwood.

By the way, make sure any anubias (the plants in front of the driftwood?) and java fern (behind it on the left?) don't have their rhizomes buried. They need to be above the substrate. You can tie/glue it to small rocks or pieces of slate. You may already have done this - I can't tell based on the picture.

#8 ·
I am using Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food. But I'm thinking that its not doing the job alone. Any recommendations? I would like to say thank you to all the guys helping me out here. This is a list of my plants:

2: Anubis
8: Cuban Ludwigia
2: Java Fern (I'm pretty sure the Rhizomes are above the substrate, thats where Im getting new leaves, right?)
8: Repens Ludwigia
1: Carpet Riccia Moss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.