The Planted Tank Forum banner

Just got a 100 wide, thinking about going for first planted tank, what would I need?

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  solchitlins 
#1 · (Edited)
whoops it's a 110 wide

Hi, first post here.
I was looking at some youtube videos wondering what to do with my newly acquired 110 gal wide, (2'x4' x22" tall).
and I came across this tank setup seen here:

http://youtu.be/Ztro3fTtq0U

I'm still in the gathering stuff mode and haven't filled her up yet. So far I have; fluval 406 with seachem matrix, ac110 with double sponge, 2 pieces of glass for the tops, cobble stone rocks from a landscaping store, large piece of drift wood, and 150 pounds of pool filter sand.

As far as lighting goes the tank came with a diy light that consists of a place to screw in 4 bulbs, I screwed in some regular house hold bulbs just to see if it works and it does.
I also have a 4 foot aquarium strip florescent fixture with a cheap o "ge hardware store aqua light bulb" that the guy at the aquarium shop told me is terrible.

I'm wondering, can I buy something cheap and achieve good results, I would like to do a planted tank with maybe dwarf cichlids, corries, plecos, congo tetras, barbs etc... or maybe rams and rainbows etc...?

I don't want to have to spend more than maybe $150 at most on lighting, and I don't want to have to buy co2 tanks and all that stuff.

Weekly water changes are fine but I would prefer low maintenance.
Can you guys maybe link me examples of commercially available lighting solutions that are plug and play. I don't have a canopy to hide lights under.

thanks

on a side note a guy offered to sell me this if you think it might be enough:
"I have a standard tank light strip
1 attinic
1powerglo 18000k
And 1 powerglo 18000k new in box "
and a eheim 2222 with extra media and pads
so with my florescent and his 2 bulb fixture I could run all the above bulbs, would that work?
feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section

See less See more
#3 ·
Since the tank is tall you could do 2x 24" Finnex Ray 2. That would put you at low light and be able to do anubias, moss, java ferns and some swords. Very low maintenance and if you get a giant piece of driftwood you can attach the anubias and mosses to it. 2x Ray 2 will cost $180 though.

#4 ·
so far I have 3 offers, 1. the 2 bulb system I spoke of above that I could trade for a used sump tank,

2. a 4 bulb power compact light with legs that he said would be enough for a planted tank. I could trade for a overflow box.

3. a complete plug and play 48" 4x54W t5ho lights used for $100.

4. a 2 t5 and 2 MH under a canopy that made for a 48 inch tank system for $75 used

#8 ·
So your tank is 48x24x22? You listed the 48 in the middle which would mean that the tank is 4ft wide and 2ft long. I was recommending the 2x24in Ray 2 based on the tank display being 24x48x22 and not the other way around. So with the tank being 48x24x22 then you would need 2x 48" Ray 2.

#9 · (Edited)
ah, got ya.
Sorry, I didn't realize the order made a difference

I guess either none of the systems listed above will work or nobody else has any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Except Gus and the finnex ray 2's? Thanks Gus, maybe for xmas, right now I would like to get started a little cheaper.

Can anyone suggest another forum where I might find some help and advice on getting started in this hobby because I sure don't want to waste money, I was hoping one of those trades might get me started.

:)

#12 ·
Yes. The blue light will do u no good for growing anything if u r referring to actinic blue. I got a dual 36" t5 off of a famous auction site for $50 that puts out 79 watts total at 6700 kw, shipped, lets call the site eday. Might not be the top brand but it works great for my 30 long. Worth taking a look.

#13 · (Edited)
I could buy this:
"It is a fishneedit light. cover is all aluminum. 4 bulbs of which two each are controlled by separate ballasts. has 4 legs so that you can place it on top of aquarium. its about 1.5yrs old and i replaced all 4 bulbs about 8months back. As i said, i've been using only 2bulbs at a time, so plenty of life left in them."
Guy is asking $100.

Maybe he would come down on the price, would something like this do or not really?

thanks guys, I know dealing with a complete noob is frustrating, I appreciate the help

#15 · (Edited)
really Gus? The one you linked from horticulturesource? Why is it better? I'm worried it will look bad in the living room and it doesn't have a splash guard, how would I mount it? I don't have a canopy. I was all excited because I just noticed fishneedit is having a sale, I was about to order one and was picking out the bulbs kit :-(

Can you help me find the same light on the manufacturers website, then I can go to a local store and check it out
http://www.hydrofarm.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.