The Planted Tank Forum banner

Power Compact Overdrive

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  valiko 
#1 ·
I am looking to lighting my 50 gal tank. And I was going to get an power compact ballast to light up 2x55 w bulbs.

I've talked today to one of the reps at the local electric supply store and he suggested to use 4x40 w T8 ballast, to overdrive 2 55w power compact bulbs.

There are a lot of posting on overdriving T12/T8, but I could not find anything about power compacts. Anything ever done this? It sounds like it should work, since power compacts are basically 2 t5 put together.

The electronic ballast for 2x55 w power compacts is $80 CDN.
the electronic ballast for 4x40 w T8 is $25 CDN, that's quite a difference.

#4 ·
Accroding to the electrician that I've talked too, yes it will work.
After reading the ODNO sticky, it looks like the ballast does not care if it is T5, T8 or PC, it is the output power that matters.

My concern in the above setup is the resulting heat.

#5 ·
hmmm...
I have some 4 light T8 ballasts laying around. They don;t seem to work for ODNO. I wonder if I coud fire 4 32 watt PC's with it?

#6 ·
valiko said:
The electronic ballast for 2x55 w power compacts is $80 CDN.
the electronic ballast for 4x40 w T8 is $25 CDN, that's quite a difference.
That seems like a high price for the power compact ballast. Contact this place by phone or via "live help" (the website is kind of useless) http://www.brite-lite.com/CdnShop/Publish/vindex.htm

They are in Calgary and I hear they sell Fulham workhorse ballasts for power compacts for around $40.

#7 ·
66 north said:
That seems like a high price for the power compact ballast. Contact this place by phone or via "live help" (the website is kind of useless) http://www.brite-lite.com/CdnShop/Publish/vindex.htm

They are in Calgary and I hear they sell Fulham workhorse ballasts for power compacts for around $40.
I'll have to organize a group buy. They are sold 20 per case :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.