The Planted Tank Forum banner

I need some advice on my aquascape! (Pics included)

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kathyy 
#1 ·
Ok, I have been happily in this hobby for years, I have never set up a scape I was content with. That sounds sorta ridiculous but it seems like I'm always wanting to add or change something. After a while, it seems to become more of a chore than a hobby. I'd really like your guy's and gal's advice on what I could do differently. Maybe I'm missing depth or maybe I'm just crowding everything too much? I'm not sure, but I love helpful feedback! Btw, I'm using my iPhone to type on here and for the pictures, so it may not be of great quality. Here are the pictures:

Plant Rectangle Pet supply Terrestrial plant Water

Full tank

Plant Rectangle Pet supply Organism Terrestrial plant

Pearl weed (HM)

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Herb

Ludwigia

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Shrub Groundcover

Unknown plant? Maybe hygro?

Water Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Pet supply

Some short Swords I've had for a year (weird!)

Plant Water Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

And lastly my Pike (crenichla marmorata)

Oh ya, and the tank is FAR over grown, and I've had a random algae bloom, hmm. Ignore those two factors though haha!

Thanks; Tyler

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Ya?? The only issue is with my Marmorata pike! He is gonna get pretty big and needs at least one big space for swimming, and probably a tunnel/cave-like structure. I could do that with plants I bet, but not sure!

As for the biotope, I think I have way too many plants to do one from the area where my pike is from (I think the oricinco river basin?). I just know pikes generally leave the aquascape alone, unlike most cichlids.

The link was very helpful! Thank you!

#5 ·
Your plants look like they're doing well! I personally would like an open space somewhere with less plants. I'm thinking you could open up some space near that driftwood to make it stand out more. Trim or move or remove some plants near there? I can't really see how good your tank looks with the full tank shot. It's a bit blurry. I bet it looks nicer than what the picture suggests.

#6 ·
I like it and I bet your pike cichlid does too. Lots of places to lurk and thickets that prey might be hiding in to check out. The thickets of stems are very nice looking.

Maybe look through the pictures here in Your Tanks and the online photos of scaping contest to see what you wish your tank looked like, then use that shape and your plants to change it up.

Pick out the damaged leaves and wipe down the glass and have a good look at it then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.