The Planted Tank Forum banner

Willzy's Mr Aqua 12G

12K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Psiorian 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I purchased a Mr Aqua 12g awhile ago from Exotic Aquatics after being inspired by Aww's iwagumi http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-(Mr-Aqua-12G) tank

Initially, I wanted a simple layout consisting of stones and HC much like Aww's above. Then off I went to Exotic Aquatics and bought all the HC he had and attempted a dry start since it's been all the rave lately. After a few weeks with limited growth I decided to flood the tank as my hands got itchy.. The HC began to propagate pretty quickly after that. With the HC spreading in the tank, I became bored and felt that with the cash I've spent on CO2 gear I wanted to play with a few more plants. For the last few weekends I've been heading to Subscape and Exotic Aquatics to stock up on a variety of plants and I am pretty happy with the current results although I think it'll be a b***h to maintain those stems.

Setup information
- Tank: Mr Aqua 12g long
- Substrate: ADA Amazonia New 9L - Still have 1/4 of bag left. ADA Power Sand Special S
- Filter: Aquanic 1000 Canister
- CO2: CO2Pro Compact Kit, Sera Flore 500 Reactor - 2 BPS
- Lighting: 2x20W Cree Led Floodlights with Aussie Plugs
- Heating: HYdor 200W Inline Heater
- Ohko Stones

Flora
- HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba")
- Hydrocotyle tripartita
- HM (Hemianthus Micranthemoides)
- Eleocharis parvulus "Hair Grass"
- Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
- Tonina Fluvalis
- Syngonanthus Belem
- Few others that I don't know the name of

Fauna
- RCS
- CRS
- Otto x2

Ferts
- ADA Brighty K (Daily)
- ADA Green Brighty Step 2 (Every 3 days)
- ADA Green Brighty Special Lights (Every 3 days)

Here are some photos taken tonight:

Cheers,

Will

See less See more
#17 ·
Thanks Kai!

There are still some undiffused co2 bubbles that come out of the outlet. I'm assuming this means the flow is still a bit strong?

The issue I have at the moment is lack of surface movement meaning I have to clean the top of the water on a daily basis. My current routine is to clear this with a paper towel when the lights go off for better oxygen exchange at night. I've thought about getting the eheim skimmer however I've got shrimp and people seem to have issues with shrimps getting skimmed as well. I don't really want to move my outlet higher either.

#25 ·
Thanks a lot!

Gorgeous tank! Beautifully laid out and maintained. Subscribed!

I have the skim350 and it's great! Very small and works super well. I also have shrimp. I run it on a timer hour on hour off (or you could just run at night) and the shrimp can go in and out. H4n is making a mesh to go over the outflow so the shrimp don't go in when the filter is off. Before I was using some floss to cover the outlet. That worked as well just had to be sure to not use too much to stop the flow.

If you want to run it all the time you could just empty it each night as you do the paper towel now.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out when H4n is complete.

You've made this tank look as if it is larger than a 12g. Great job achieving that depth.
Much appreciated!

What about an air stone hidden in the corner?
Prefer not to run an airstone because the tank is open top and water will evaporate quite quickly.

That is absolutely gorgeous setup! :O
Thanks for your kind comments.

From what i've noticed and especially after seeing Dantrasy's journal my red plants are really lacking in the 'red' colour.

I've been thinking about either updating to diy RapidLed kit or perhaps add a small 10watt warm white flood night in the middle? What are your thoughts?

#28 ·
Interesting, looks like you've put a 13mm shrimp safe pre-filter on it? I don't really have any room to put the skimmer in the tank. Let me know if you have to increase your CO2 to offset the extra oxygenation.

also looks like you have a cheeseburger stuck on the side of it :p

#31 ·
It is a 13mm and a cheeseburger lol.

Yes I did increase the co2 to compensate not that much just a tad.

Ah if you don't have the space then that's another issue. I also use the sunsun 301 on another tank it's a hob surface skimmer combo. I just run it for 10 mins then take it out. You can see a vid in Brian_cali77's 60P journal.

#36 · (Edited)
Your wish is my command.

Personally I don't like how it looks, however, I turned the background over and I quite like the look of the rocky dark background. It brings out the colours of the shrimps and plants as well.

What do you think?

Are you offering me your lily pipes for free? :D

I'm actually after the jet pipes instead. Thanks for the offer though :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.