The Planted Tank Forum banner

What de-chlorinator does everyone here like?

3K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  Rooster 
#1 ·
What de-chlorinator does everyone here like?

Thanks.

#47 ·
I use this stuff as well. The thing to remember is that this product only treats chlorine, not chloramine. You need to consult your local municipal water report to determine which one your city uses. As my city only uses chlorine, this product is perfect for me. It costs 30 dollars for 10 pounds on e-bay right now. I use this recipe to make my solution: http://www.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Thiosulfate-Pentahydrate-500g-P6376C670.aspx

As you can see, 500 grams can treat about 38,000 gallons. This makes it the most economical product, PERIOD! That means 30 dollars gets you about 9 gallons of solution that mixes at a ration of 2 drops per gallon water. Put another way, your 30 dollar purchase treats at least 340650 gallons.

The best part is the dry product has virtually no end of shelf life. I've heard the mixed solution should be used within 6 months, but I'm going on over a year with the same mixture.

#45 ·
the sodium thiosulfate is the active ingredient in dechlorinators, gennerally the way I use it is I just sprinkle a few crystals directly into the fresh five gallon bucket and wait for them to dissolve, probably about a gram per 5 gallons or so.

the biggest benefit though is when I use it to neutralize bleach after dipping plants, for that I dissolve about 1/4 cup into 1 gallon of water, then after I dip the plants in the diluted bleach solution and rinse them I set the plants in the sodium thio solution for a few minutes then rinse again

a lot of professional aquarium maintenance people will use it to neutralize chlorine after bleaching a tank in a short period of time (for non planted tanks) usually they drain the tank completely then spray a bleach solution all over, then rinse then spray the sodium thio all over to neutralize the chlorine from the bleach then they fill the tank back up without having to wait for all the chlorine to evaporate.

for my planted tanks I really don't dechlorinate every time I do a water change, I know it sounds bad but even Amano says it's ok to have some chlorine sometimes, the chlorine in tap water will fight algae and evaporate out within a day anyway. but don't take my advice on that, most of my tanks are fishless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.