The Planted Tank Forum banner

Those who have bred Cambarellus patzcuarensis

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  krisvalkyrie 
#1 ·
Hi
I know that female Cambarellus patzcuarensis can kill males so I was thinking of dividing a 20 gallon planted tank with screen divider and placing the female with the male to see if they mate because I have no way of actually knowing when the female is ready.

Any input , suggestions ?

As of now I only have the larger female but intend to pick up a male because I do want to breed them but I will keep them separate other than breeding.

Thank you

#2 ·
You can keep a pair in a planted 20 just fine. I've kept 6-8 Adults in a 20 gallon long before. Conflict occurred but never death. One or two would lose an arm but it grows back, no biggie. New borns and juvies had to be removed into their own containers, as these often got eaten by adults. They had to be at least an inch before being released in with the adults. But even then, I didn't let them stay in the tank too long (Sold them off) as I feel like 6-8 was way more than enough in a 20 gallon tank.

A pair in a 20 gallon should be perfectly fine. It's what you do with the babies, afterwards, is what counts.

#3 ·
Thank you very much this was a lot of help.

I might just go for a pair in a 20 but not planted , only driftwood with java fern (no substrate) due to concerns about not being able to find the babies and siphon them out in a planted.

What temp did yours breed at?

Thank you

#6 ·
#5 ·
I have 6 adults and a lot of young in a 10 gallon tank. The bottom of the tank is almost solid moss. There are 3 different sizes of young in the tank from fry to more than 1", and I have never seen aggression. I keep them well fed and there is plenty of cover. I am about to move all of them into a 55 gallon to start breeding them, because it is getting pretty cramped in the 10 gallon.

From what I see, these will not wreck your plants like Clarkii will.

#7 ·
I have 6 adults and a lot of young in a 10 gallon tank. The bottom of the tank is almost solid moss. There are 3 different sizes of young in the tank from fry to more than 1", and I have never seen aggression. I keep them well fed and there is plenty of cover. I am about to move all of them into a 55 gallon to start breeding them, because it is getting pretty cramped in the 10 gallon.

From what I see, these will not wreck your plants like Clarkii will.

That must look nice all moss on the bottom .

I have never tried java moss but seems like a look I would like esp since they do not destroy plants .

Thanks

#8 ·
I have been having trouble keeping my cpos alive. They are in a heavily planted 75g tank, no ammonia or nitrite, decent nitrate levels, 7.4 pH. The eggs go bad, when they do breed, and later I will find a fully grown Cray dead for no apparent reason. Only large fish in the tank is a very shy discus, everything else is guppy sized or smaller.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.