The Planted Tank Forum banner

Club in Western WA

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Sonvar 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to the hobby myself and was hoping to find a club or something that operates here in western WA. I am personally in Tacoma buy am willing to travel.

Let me know!

-Braxx

#2 ·
Hi Braxx,

You are definitely in luck, the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is just up the road in Seattle. Our club is filled with 250+ fish and plant enthusiasts. We meet on the second Tuesday of every month from September through June.

Coming up in September we have invited Ian Fuller, the renowned Corydoras breeder from the UK to come an speak to our members; you are welcome to attend as a guest. If you have any questions just ask, if you would like to know which local fish stores have the best selection of plants or if you are looking for something unusual I can probably steer you in the right direction.

-Roy

20 gallon; no CO2; H. lancea; L. sp 'Red''; L. repens X arcuata; H. 'Vesuvius'; + others

#4 ·
Hi Serygo,

You are certainly welcome to attend our GSAS meeting in September as a guest as well!

There are several good stores in the Seattle area for quality plants. I like the following:

The Fish Store on Roosevelt in Seattle
Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds
Denny's Pet World in Kirkland
Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton
A Place for Pets in Burien

If you are looking for unusual and rare plant species The Fish Store, Aquarium Co-op, and Denny's all regularly purchase plants from our GSAS 'Planthead' members so they are likely to have species you won't find at stores that just purchase plants from the plant farms in Florida.

Also, at the end of most of our GSAS meetings we have a monthly auction where members bring in their 'extra' fish, plants, and equipment; and you can usually find some excellent plants offered and some go for bargain prices.

-Roy

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Braxx,

It's not at all formal or intimidating, just a group of friendly folks that get together once a month to enjoy their hobby. Anyone is welcome to join and $15 gets a 1 yr individual membership and $20 a family membership. We have 11 sponsor stores that give our members a 10% - 20% discount when they present their GSAS membership card at the time of purchase....B&I Pet Center in Tacoma is a sponsor store as were all of the stores I listed above. We have 10 meetings a year including a BIG plant auction in November, our General Auction (all day on a Saturday), and a Holiday meeting/party. We have nationally as well as internationally known speakers including Tom Barr, Gary Lange, Ad Koenings, Oliver Lucanus, Chuck Rambo, Karen Randall, and many more than I can name here. If you are unable to attend a meeting, and the speaker gives us permission, we do a Blu-ray videotape of the presentation and make it available to our members. I assure you if you are into fish and planted aquariums it is the best $15 you will ever spend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.