The Planted Tank Forum banner

So far, so good! Updated 28 Sep 09

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  LS6 Tommy 
#1 · (Edited)
When I fed the CPDs & EDRs in the 10 gallon breeder tank, I found there was a recent brood. There were 2 teeny little babies stuck on the glass. Obviously, they're too small to ID which of the two breeds they are, but I'm hoping things continue to go well. Finally SOMETHING in this tank is going the way I like it to. :proud:

Tommy

#3 ·
If I can get any good shots, I will. The tank has relatively low light levels, & the glass needs cleaning. I don't wan't to do anything too invasive until the fry are a little larger.

Tommy

#5 ·
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora, AKA Crossbanded Dwarf Rasora, Microrasbora erythromicron. They're very closely related to CPD's but evolved in an isolated location from them, so they don't crossbreed, much like the birds on the Galapagos Islands. I forget the scientific term for the situation.

Tommy

#8 ·
Let's not get too excited. I've only seen 2 fry. It's by no means a successful breeder tank yet.

I wouldn't really call it a dedicated "breeding tank" per se. I just put the fish in & hoped something would happen. It's the same setup I had from the shrimp fiasco. It's a 10 gallon with Schultz Pond soil, a Penguin 100 HOB filter w/a foam prefilter, some Taiwan moss, Java fern on driftwood, a small Crypt, some Malasian Trumpet Snails. 76* F, 7.6 PH, whatever hardness comes out of the tap. I'm feeding the adults Hikari Micro Pellets & I very infrequently use a teeny bit of Hikari First Bites just to make sure there's something in there to help support the microfauna for the fry to feed on.

Oksana, I tried to get a picture yesterday, but the fry are just too small to get a good shot without a tripod & they move too much to use one.

Tommy

#9 ·
Well, I think the parents are eating the fry. I see one or two fry in there about every other week, some are small enough to lead me to believe they just hatched, one or two look slightly larger, but none seem to be getting past 3/16" & the numbers don't go up. Maybe they just hide really well.

Tommy

#10 ·
Still no increase in population, but I do occasionally see 1 or 2 new fry about every week. I put my old breeder net in the tank yesterday & have made multiple attempts to catch the fry when I see them, but boy are they fast!! I'll just keep trying...

Tommy

#11 ·
I have around 6 fry in the breeding net now. The oldest is almost 3/16" long & is starting to get the basic olive coloration. So far, so good.

Tommy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.