The Planted Tank Forum banner

Changing gears

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dthb4438 
#1 ·
Since I've given up on having the 10 gallon shrimper ever come to a success, I'm going in a different direction. I'm really fond of my CPD's in the 58 community tank, but it's hard to really get a good look at them. I got 6 nice ones from Fishtown USA (thanks, Evan!). They seem happy so far & readily take dry food (definitely a +). Yesterday I came across 4 Crossbanded Dwarf Rasboras (Microrasbora erythromicron) @ Absolutely Fish. They're really neat, if not similar to the CPD, but not identical & somewhat uncommon. Since I have "collectoritis" & you don't see them too often, I got them.

Here's what they should look like when their condition peaks, slightly larger than actual size and they'll probably have a touch darker red coloration than the picture:

They've taken to the dry food in one day, & now that they're getting used to the surroundings their color's already starting to come up. I'm of the understanding that there should be no risk of crossbreeding, so I'm going to just leave those two species alone in there & see what happens.

Tommy

See less See more
#4 ·
??

If I'm not mistaken there's a move to reclassify Microrasbora erythromicron to the genus of danio like with what happened with CPDs. There is no chance of interbreeding rest assured. Also Microrasbora erythromicron is actually more commonly known as a "Emerald Dwarf Rasbora". Anyways, I wish you luck with the tank as they are both beautiful fish.
I was aware of the ongoing debate on classification, but thanks for the info on the common name!

Tommy

#3 · (Edited)
That's actually probably the best match for CPDs [STRIKE]as they share the same lake if I'm remembering right[/STRIKE] they don't but they're both from the same basic region. The fish have been kept together recently with good results. They both take the same requirements in terms of water and they both love the same foods. If I'm not mistaken there's a move to reclassify Microrasbora erythromicron to the genus of danio like with what happened with CPDs. There is no chance of interbreeding rest assured. Also Microrasbora erythromicron is actually more commonly known as a "Emerald Dwarf Rasbora". Anyways, I wish you luck with the tank as they are both beautiful fish.

#5 ·
The cross-banded's are danios and are actually the sister species to the CPD's. A paper published this year revised the entire danio group:

Fang, et al. 2009. Molecular phylogenetic interrelationships of the south Asian cyprinid genera Danio, Devario and Microrasbora (Teleostei, Cyprinidae, Danioninae). Zoologica Scripta. 38(1):1-20.

and shows both species (Danio margaritatus and Danio erythromicron) well within the Danio clade. Let me know if you want a copy of the paper - I have a PDF of it.

I have about 10 of each in my 20G community tank. The celestials are doing good, though I just lost one of the cross-bands. I also never see the cross-bands - they spend all their time hiding in the vegetation and are really skittish.:( I do not know if they will interbreed, but as they are so closely related, it could be possible.

Cdirus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.