The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 Feb update to the saga...I'm about ready to quit trying shrimp...

13K views 126 replies 36 participants last post by  dthb4438 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't get it. My parameters all fall in line With everybody's advice and I still keep losing shrimp in the 10 gallon tank. I just got 6 nice Blues from a local LFS and they're all gone in a week. Out of the 2 broods of Cherries I had, there are only about 10-15 juvies left. I have 1 Bee and 2 "Black Cherries" left out of 4 of each. The Bee is finally saddled and now I don't even have a mate for her. I can grow snails reall well...:icon_roll :angryfire

Tommy

#113 ·
Nope, no CO2, no dosing. Basic low-tech. None in the filter.

Tommy

#114 ·
Well, even though I see berried & saddled females and everyone seems happy & healthy, my population is still slowly shrinking. At the last feeding I had a head count of around 20. :frown: I'm about ready to let this tank become a planted fish tank for some of the really neat nano-fish species.

Tommy

#116 ·
Well, I haven't completely given up. I got a dozen new cherries to bring in some genetic diversity on a barter yesterday & 5 mid grade Crystal Reds at a local LFS.

Tommy

#117 ·
Well, maybe things are on the upswing, finally. I counted at least 6 berried RCS last night & the CRS have settled in nicely, I hope the CRS breed too!

Tommy

#119 ·
I saw one lone baby last night at feeding time. Judging by size it looked to be around 3 weeks old. I'm up to 7 berried Cherries now. Hopefully they'll have a good survival rate & my population will finally start undergoing an explosion.

Tommy

#121 ·
Update Mar 29 09-
Well, I'm down to 2 or 3 Bees & maybe 5 Cherries. No one's been berried since the last post. Yes, i'm almost positive there are females & males.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna let it go, harvest as many of the MTS as I can & put some CPD's in to see if they'll breed.

I really like these stupid shrimpy dudes, too.

Tommy

#123 ·
first whats in the tank besides the shrimp? Second make sure you dont put anything that cotains copper in the tank, third overdose in tetra aquasafe example ( instead of 7 drops per gallon i use 9 -10 drops per gallon) this removes all harmful metals and stops shrimp loss.

becarefull with fertilizers also they may cotain harmfull stuff for shrimp dose a 1/4 of what you normally do for plants and keep co2 levels low

#124 ·
Nothing's in the tank except plants & MTS. I don't dose anything, no treatments other than Prime for H2O changes. I've been through all the other suggestions. I've tested for everything under the sun. It's just plain ol' mystery.

Tommy

#125 ·
I dose fertilizer with copper and have food with copper and my shrimp don't die. I only feed my shrimp every month. I only have ten cherries right now, and countless babies. My tank has cold water, high circulation, low-mediumish CO2. I think you should make the conditons how the moss likes it also becuase I think they live together symbioticaly. (if you have moss) The shrimp keeps the moss clean which keeps it growing in return they get cover. Not sure on this though. Kinda just thought of it on top of my head. I read some other posts, that said to put plants that would be in a pond(most floating) cause they suck up nitrates pretty well. I haven't changed my water in like a month and a half.

#126 ·
Do you know of anyone locally that is breeding shrimp? Like someone stated earlier, LFS shrimp aren't always the hardiest of species. I would also suggest to look at the swap and shop for shrimp.

I know you're frustration all too well. I spent a lot of time and money trying to keep the bugs alive -- with little success. And like you, I was going to give up. The funny thing is when I stopped worrying (by 'worrying' I mean excessive, testing, partial water changes, fancy foods, etc...) my shrimp started breeding like rabbits.

Good luck and hang in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.