The Planted Tank Forum banner

Digsy's succulent collection

10K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread has nothing to do with vivariums or terrariums but there are several other similar threads here so, it seems like the best place to stick this. Here are pictures of some of the succulents I've started accumulating over the last few months. I have a few more that I need to photograph still.

Unknown Aeonium - This was doing fine near a sunny window inside but has developed these purple edges (along with being a little singed in a few places) since being left outside all week.

Beaucarnea recurvata - This was an impulse purchase when I saw it at Sam's Club. This thing has the potential to be monstrous so, I don't know how long it will last in that container.

Didymaotus sp.

Echeveria metallica x posina

Euphorbia obesa:

Fenestraria sp.

Gasteria pillansii

Haworthia sp. #1 - The color is completely different than the plants I divided and left indoors. The indoor plants are such a dark, deep green, which I think I prefer.

Haworthia sp. #2

Haworthia cooperi var. pilifera

Lapidaria margaretae

Lithops sp. #1 (possibly not Lithops, I'm unsure)

Lithops sp. #2

Mammillaria gracilis fragilis with a flower coming in

Mammillaria spinosissima

Matelea cyclophylla

Pleiospilos simulans

Turbinicarpus pseuodpectinatus 'rosieflorus'

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
That first Aeonium is gorgeous fresh.salty! They look so similar, I'm having a hard time positively identifying them! What is the second picture?

Matelea cyclophylla - This one is not doing so well after I had extreme difficulty getting it out of the plastic pot it came in. I'm hoping it will bounce back after it acclimates to it's new pot and full sun.

#4 ·
What is the second picture?
Not sure what it is. I've had it for about 20 years. First 15 or so it was on the walkway leading to my front door. Mostly in the shade except for late afternoon. It was so big we had to move it to the back yard. Received a lot more sun and took a couple years to get use to it. Now it's back to growing well and is about 7' tall. lol

I don't have many succulents, mostly cactus.

#6 · (Edited)
Digsy

It looks like you may have burned your first plant by moving it outdoors to full sunlight too quickly. I've learned this the hard way many times.

Check out Uebelmannia pectinifera for a very nice looking cacti. http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/UE.../Uebelmania_pectinifera_pseudopectinifera.htm This is one cactus that grows in the light shade of grasses in Minas Gerais state in Brazil and really does not do well in full unfiltered sunlight here in NJ.

Fresh.Salty's second plant is a Euphorbia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia I didn't look up the species as there are so many. They grow in southern Africa and Madagascar. Many of them are very poisonous if you get the sap on your skin. Many are really interesting looking. Many different growth forms in this genus. Crown of Thorns and Poinsettia are both Euphorbias.

#8 ·
Thanks, I didn't realize until I started to see the burns that it probably didn't appreciate instant full sun. :) It doesn't seem to have affected it too much though. Pink is really becoming a predominant color with each passing day and I think it looks really nice.

The Uebelmannia pectinifera is definitely a great looking cactus. I'm going to need to take another trip to the nursery soon, although I'm finding that I may need to order plants online soon as my nursery doesn't have a lot of the plants on my wish list.

Also, thanks for the ID on the Euphorbia, those are an interesting looking species of succulent for sure. I'd really like to get more Caudiciforms, which I understand can be poisonous as well. It's a good reminder to keep them away from pets!

Looks good! I think your 2nd picture is Haworthia fasciata, or something pretty similar. I like the Matalea too, but I'm kind of a sucker for plants with nasty-smelling flowers (hence my addiction to the Araceae family)
Thanks Adam! Your original succulent/cactus thread is actually what started me on this new form of collectoritis! Haworthia fasciata does look like that might be a good ID.

I'm hoping my Matalea will pull through so I can see the smelly flower! It's not looking so great at the moment and I'm not quite sure what it needs...

#7 ·
Looks good! I think your 2nd picture is Haworthia fasciata, or something pretty similar. I like the Matalea too, but I'm kind of a sucker for plants with nasty-smelling flowers (hence my addiction to the Araceae family)

#9 ·
Coool! That first one looks like a little tree that you would find on an island xD Ohhh, I love Echeverias they are just so pretty. I saw some neat ones at the local garden center, but I'm too cheap/poor to pay $6+ for them. The bigger the pot they come in the more expensive... they look too small to be in a big pot or I guess they are rarer.

Like your Gasteria pillansii it would cost $9, and other interesting mimcry plants that I do not have would be around $7-9. I don't know, I just noticed they were in the same sized pots as the more expensive one which are bigger maybe around 5".

But anyways, I think my next one I want to get are a Hens and Chicks and maybe Bear Paws or some other types of Echeveria or that Aeonium that you have, it is cool looking tree like xD

#10 ·
At my local nurseries, it appears that every succulent is either $5 or $10, with some more rare ones around $15 but I really hesitate when I see anything over $10, just because I'm not yet experienced enough to try my hand at anything that they claim is "ultra rare." Hens and chicks are usually relatively inexpensive, fortunately and I like the look of them as well. Don't forget to add pics to your thread when you do get them!

These are the plants I'm looking at purchasing at aridlands.com over the next few months as I have not been able to find them locally:

Turbinocarpus pseudopectinatus ssp. pseudopectinatus
Adenium swazicum
Pleiospilos nelii
Adenia glauca
Adenia venenata
Lapidaria margaretae

#12 ·
I'm not sure if you have a Home Depot in your area, but that is where I got my Pleiospilos nelii for $2.59 plus tax. Currently, all my succulents I have were from HD for $2.59, the small pots (which is also a reason why I don't want to pay $6+ lol, I know I'm cheap). There were some bigger plants for maybe a dollar or so more.

I wonder what type of Hens and Chicks I should get, the books on Succulents I borrowed say many Sempervivums can be considered Hens and Chicks, and another book said even other family of succulents can be Hens and Chicks. But all the books agree that Hens and Chicks usually refer to a Sempervivum spp.

#13 · (Edited)
Eden

Hen's and Chicks are usually Sempervivums and come from Europe in the mountains. They are winter hardy in NJ and most likely much further north. They can also be called "House Leek" as they have been grown on the thatched roof of houses to stop leaks.

Digsy

If you want Caudiciforms, this mail order place is a great place to shop. http://www.miles2go.com/ I have placed at least three orders here and have been fully satisfied with quality and price. Plants come bare root so you will need to pot them yourself.

Your Turbinocarpus is a great plant. Comes from Mexico in San Luis Potosi state. Loves calcium in the soil. Let it dry out well between waterings. Most have a tap root so you will need a very deep pot, but narrow in diameter. Clay is best as it dries out faster. Must have very well drained soil. Gypsum can be added to the potting mix too. It also likes it warm in the winter-temperatures in the low 50F or so.

Here's one of my Turbinocarpus blooming last year, Turbinicarpus psuedopectinatus. :

#14 · (Edited)
Jerry, I just realized that I never replied to your post. Thanks for the info on the website, I've looked at it a few times but have not yet made an order. I keep putting it off hoping to find things locally but that's not working out. Great looking Turbinocarpus as well!

While in Santa Monica last week, I stopped in at Merrihew's Sunset Gardens (a great store by the way) and decided to grabbed a Lithops that I have not been able to find in Seattle. I could have spent a lot of money at this little shop as they had a pretty large selection of succulents.

This is the current state of my Matelea cyclophylla...anyone think there's any possible way it will survive?

#15 ·
yes. I wouldnt give up untill the stubby stalk wilts and withers. I have seen a lot of plants come back from some really sad shape.

#18 ·
Re: Digsy's growing succulent collection

Yes, as stated above, I did a little research after my post on the plant and think I've got this one covered but you're right, my laziness in learning about the requirements is showing. 8 need to make a trip or two to the library. I am embarassed to say that I tend not to research until after there is a problem.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Yes, as stated above, I did a little research after my post on the plant and think I've got this one covered but you're right, my laziness in learning about the requirements is showing. 8 need to make a trip or two to the library. I am embarassed to say that I tend not to research until after there is a problem.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
You gave me a good laugh. :):) You can find a lot of information on the Internet. Take advantage of it. :icon_idea

#20 ·
Hey you got a Matalea. I have a Matalea (lost the species name somehow) that I have had going for several years and it is one of my favorite plants.

Yours looks like it might have just gone dormant already. It will probably be fine, but you might not see any new growth on it until spring.

During the winter I give mine a little shot of water every few weeks.

#22 ·
Shoot I think that mine is already all done flowering. I don't know why I have never gotten any pictures of its blooms because they are awesome. They look a lot like the flowers of other asclepioid plants except that they are flat. The flowers on this one a real deep burgundy color and velvety.

I'd love to find sources for other Matalea species.

You know I think that there is a native Matalea in the Southern US.

#23 ·
Oh, that's a shame. If you do ever come across a picture, please post it as mine obviously had no intention of flowering this year. I must have purchased it right at the end of the growing season as the leaves only lasted a month or so.

This is the only Matalea I've seen for sale at any of the garden shops I've checked but most of the stores get their succulents exclusively from a local succulent only nursery so, there may be more available elsewhere in the country. I've checked some online stores for some as well but haven't had any luck.

#28 ·
Totally understand - its a whole realm of plants unto itself! I had a big 2foot round succulent dish when I lived in Florida and I loved it most! I had to leave it with behind when I moved out of state as it was way to big to fit in my car. I always wanted to start another one. The shapes, textures and colors are amazing and when the rare bloom happens its like magic! The only thing semi succulent that made its way here with me was a 4 inch ponytail palm that's now all of 6 inches tall 5 years later! Patience is a virtue...

So now I get to live vicariously through your collection :)

Can't wait to see the next one,two, three or more that make their way home with you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.