The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted Eclipse 3 Gallon

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gBOYsc2 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new and really love the nano tanks I've been viewing. I decided to try one. This is a new hobby for me, but I've spent a few months reading up on planted tanks, and last week I put together an Eclipse 3 gallon system. I purchased everything locally, and even though I would love some smaller plants, I know I'll have to order them.

So far, I've been using everything that comes with the tank. It has a T5 light, and I'd like to stick with it:

• Substrate: Florite
  • Java Ferns (one on the driftwood, one behind it, sitting on the substrate)
  • Argentine Sword
  • Hydrophilia

After it cycles for a month or two, I'd like to add in some shrimp, but we'll see how it goes. Any tips, tricks, or advice is welcome. Thank you! :)

ETA: My picture link didn't work. A picture of my tank is in my avatar/profile.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had one.
Stick with low light plants.
That T5 in the Eclipse 3 should be fish/shrimp only and not plants.
It's barely adequate to keep anything alive.
You may be better off removing the hood and getting a desk lamp, like an Ott 13W or strong clip light.
Aesthetics will be shot though.

#4 ·
Hi javafern welcome to the hobby! You have a rocky road ahead of you but LOL a flat easy path is no fun! It is a long learning process and I believe the best way to learn is from your mistakes... or even better other peoples mistakes. That is what we are here for :).

How many watts is the light that comes with the eclipse? You probably have read about the watts per gallon rule but unfortunately it doesn't quite apply to small tanks and is being regarded as an 'oldschool' method of thought.

If you are DIY handy at all it is maybe possible to retrofit another bulb inside the hood. I am not sure as I am not familiar with the inside of the eclipse but you might also be able to completely remove the stock light and replace it with something stronger. I think 13w will still be very little. You might want to look into an 18 or 27w fixture. In the end if you are patient I think that light will suffice for all of the low light/low maintenance plants you just wont have any rapid growth. I recommend using some various smaller crypts like cryptocoryne parva, java ferns which you already have, different types of mosses and possibly some anubias nana or nana petite.

About the picture I would also recommend using photobucket. They crop and size the pictures and make them forum ready for you! It's easy as pie.

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.