The Planted Tank Forum banner

My New Planted Ponds Project (WARNING Lots of big picture)

13K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  sillysoup 
#1 ·
Hi,
My name is Sony from Indonesia.
This is my first thread in this forum.
Right now i'm building my new planted ponds in my home.

This is top view design

this is side view for filter

This is the front view

The dimension of my ponds 3 meters (Length) x 2 meters (Width) x 0.8 meter (height).
I will use tempered laminated glass for 2 side (the front and the side). The widht of the glass is 19 milimeters.

Sony

See less See more
#7 ·
My plan i will use Eleocharis acicularis planted emerge first. Than after the plant grow i will fill the ponds with water. I like to make just like carpet effect using this plant just like savana (hopefully success :) ).
I will use 150 watt MH lamp only for night view. For light is will use sun as my main source of light. I will add canopy and sun screen to reduce the sun light.
For CO2 i will inject it from the pump to CO2 reactor that i will made using PVC pipe.

Any suggestion are welcome :D
I really need a lots

#9 ·
For fish collection i will use Cardinal tetra (maybe 200 to 300) or Harlequin or rummy nose tetra. I really want to have altum angel. so hard to find here.
For Algae Eating squad hopefully i will use Ottocinclus affinis hard to get in Indonesia and very expensive here :( and a lot of Red Cherry Shrimp

#18 ·
Hi sony, I can see you ended up here as well :)

Learning from quite a similar, but different style of project I've done earlier on
project sunken garden

My advice : Make sure everything does not leak. It does devastate one when the system starts to leak, esp when the setup is just maturing.

Secondly, if you are able to modify, do separate the water system for waterfall apart from the main tank. Save yourself lots of CO2 out gassing and probably cleaner tank too.

The masonry work is very typical of traditional indonesian garden-cliff style, most complimented with a waterfall. What makes this one unique is the pond with a cut section viewing window.

#20 ·
Last update
These photo are taken this morning 12th November 2008.

The waterfall

preparation for glass

Filter

settlement chamber using vortex (Hopefully work :) )

This is second and third chamber i'll use brush or lots of bio ball. The fourth chamber i will use jap mat to make sure the water clean to the fifth chamber that will be a pump chamber.

#21 ·
Thank you guys.

@Fastfreddie
Actually this kind of ponds is usual in Indonesia.
But the different is using glass for side view just like Medicineman said. His pond really inspired me to make the pond like his.
I learned to make this pond by reading from many many many forum in the internet ha ha ha ha :)
This is my home. Home Sweet Home :)

@clwatkins10
Yea Rummy nose tetra really great fish for community tank. They really are beatifull fish

@Medicineman
ha ha ha ha Actually i have read this forum for a long time and i've seen Jeffry's (R4narok) and your thread in this forum. Your pond and Jeffry's really inspired me he he he he
Thank you for you advice. Actually i have ball valve to turn off the waterfall. And just like your advice, every outlet from the filter has a ball valve. And the rail for glass now has been made deeper to 11 cm just like your advice. Thank you so much :)

G
#23 ·
sonythan what do they seal the cement or concrete with? Do they leach any lime or anything into the pond, water garden or aquapond (what ever you call them) lol.

I was thinking of doing something like this in my basement but that was my only concern about the leaching effect that may happen. I was going to use a epoxy like they use on ponds to seal it up just incase so I didnt have to worry about it.

#24 ·
I actually don't know what kind of material that they use to seal the concrete.
They said they will use ready to use special pond cement. In Indonesia there are many brand for that material.

hmm i don't know about epoxy. but if you really want to sure there are no leakage you can use fiberglass (REALLLYYY EXPENSIVE :eek5: )

#26 ·
Nice auto top-off system you have prepared there.
Though it reminds me right away to what one might find at the inside of a water tower, or even within your toilet seat :icon_roll

Individual ball valves. That is also the way to go!

And I have not seen any roof yet. You will want one of those, a semi clear one to filter out strong sun ray but allowing enough light to penetrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.