The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp attacking hermits?

857 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Soothing Shrimp 
#1 ·
I have had blue legged hermits in my brackish tank (currently at 1.011 salinity) and I keep finding my ghost shrimp eating them. They seem healthy to me, so I do not think they are dying. Is it possible my ghost shrimp are attacking them?

#6 ·
That's what the store says. One of them does seem exceptionally big and has red bands on his claw arms so maybe. He just has small fingers type claws though, nothing huge, just long arms.

That one was actually born in my tank so I assumed his size just meant he was healthy growing up in a good environment.

#7 ·
Ghost shrimp is often a catch all phrase for shrimp that are transparent. So that means many species fall under that term.

The majority of "ghost shrimp" are not able to have babies that live in freshwater.

It is possible you received a red claw shrimp. I have them myself and love them as they grow bigger than 2" and are much more fun/active to watch than my dwarfs, however they do need a species tank of their own. Think of them like crayfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.