The Planted Tank Forum banner

Soon to be Shrimp setup

2K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Gavin288 
#1 · (Edited)
So im looking to set up a shrimp tank when the next petco dollar per gallon starts(think it's next month),this is the setup im thinking

Tank: 20 Gallon long, 30.3" x 12.5" x 12.8"
Filter: dual sponge filter on each end
Light: dual CFL Bulbs
Heater: Not sure
Substrate: Black Diamond sand
Hardscape: Lace rock inert
Plants: Rotala Indica,Java moss,Flame moss Anubias nana,Dwarf Baby Tears,Cardinal Plant, any suggestions?
Shrimp: Red Cherry.Yellow Neo,Emerald Green

Anything wrong with this setup? anything i need to add or that you can recommend?

Thanks for your time

#7 ·
Light: get Fugeray 1 led light to avoid algae, T5 produce too much algae for my liking.

Filter: really depend on your liking. I prefer HOB over Cannister for tank size 15 and below.

Heater: you live in AZ and it's almost summer, it should be extremely hot over in your area. You don't need a heater for now.

Plant: most of them are fine, however, dwarf baby tears do better in active substrate like ADA, UP Aqua, etc... with CO2

Neos: I would keep Pumpkin/Sunkist orange shrimp together with Yellow. But that's just me.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys

Its looking like a canister will cost to much maybe in the future,so now im looking at hob vs sponge filter, if i go with a hob i will use one,if i go with sponge filter i will go with one on each end, thoughts?

#9 ·
Look, a canister filter is best but I've run many tanks I the past with just sponge filter or a single hob filter. If you are going to use a hob I would upgrade at least one size up from the 20.

I think you will have much success with baby tears using an inert substrate unless you put a ton of root tabs in the tank.

#18 · (Edited)
The thing i don't like about LED lighting is that it has a tint and price is alot higher, i know over e summer i might save a few bucks here and there from using them but i don't think it will be that much

Since im not doing co2 would a T8 keep algae down but give off good lighting? Since a T5 is overkill?

#19 ·
with a shrimp tank algae is something good to keep in the tank. i have several tanks and the only side i keep clean from algae is the one i look in to see the shrimp. on my hex tank i keep 3 from sides clean the back ones are so green you cant see in, and the 5 gal in my room i just keep one of the ends clean cause i look though the short end when laying in bed. baby shrimp eat the algae and its good bio film for the shrimps.

#25 ·
ok so talked to some people at a few stores and they described making something like this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting/f/4631_DSC01158c.jpg (did a search and only place that had something like it was here lol) i have all the tools to do it plus Metal flashing that i can polish as a reflector, the only difference they said was just use 2 bulbs in the center and not 4

Anyone think that would work?

#27 ·
well i think everything is lined up now :D just showed my dad it and he said the light would be no problem to make, now being 16 and Not having a job just have to wait for my birthday to come around in a few weeks for the money......this will be the longest wait ever

#29 ·
What kind of dirt?

Also how long does it take to cycle for shrimp? i've seen some people say as long as you have tons of plants only a week or so but others say like 1-2 months?, and how many shrimp can i have in total for the tank?

#31 ·
So i can't find black diamond sand anywhere near me.....so im going with the back up of pool filter sand, also i have access to a friends koi pond and i was wondering if i should seed the sponge filters with the water from it? He doesn't use any chemicals in it so i think it should be safe to do? Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.