The Planted Tank Forum banner

Barad-dur: The Beginning (3\23 final scape)

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  poppyseed 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Status:

I have acquired a piece of epic driftwood, thus the epic name.

BEHOLD.

There will be shrimp, and there will be moss.

See less See more
#5 ·
It was not with ease, but through a battle of will and determination in the land known as e-bay.

It's actually perfectly sized for the smallish tank it's going in. Like 13 inches tall and actually quite flat! In my brain I see all the shrimp climbing it and poking out of the holes :)<.

#8 ·
A small update, not much happening yet! I slapped some mini pellia and UG on the driftwood to see what would happen, doing a short dry start with that. The tank is partially filled because I attached some moss to some SS mesh and felt like throwing it in. Not sure if I want to keep all the plants fairly low growing or not, but it's low-tech and low/medium lighting so we'll see.

Since I haven't mentioned any specs yet:

mr. aqua 11.4 aquarium
27 watt archaea fixture
Going with a sponge filter and a zoo med 501 for filtration (have both, we'll see how it goes)
fluval shrimp stratum

Some pictures for now!

See how tall and thin it is?

Bonus pics! My homemade batlight :)

#11 ·
That is a sick piece of drift wood. I can't wait to see where this goes.

#13 ·
Alright.. so here is how it stands right now. It's not going to stay this way. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep the plants low-growing for scale reasons, but I just don't think I like it without some stems. Plus, all of these plants came from my other aquariums, so I think I want something new.

#17 ·
Redid the scape into something more like what I had envisioned.

Going to add more moss over time and whatever else I feel will look good. Not going to rush this one.

I propped up some SS mesh in the back right against some cholla wood. Figured the wood would be a sweet hideout for the shrimp, and when it grows in it will look more "hilly."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.