The Planted Tank Forum banner

lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy)

49K views 221 replies 38 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I was running out of room in my tank and I really didn't want to set-up another tank in my aprtment so I went a different route and bought a cheap home depot rack and some lights and some nusery flats with humitity domes, I also have a rubbermaid container on the ground for some larger plants. Here is a pick of the overall set-up I will post some pics of the specific plants as I go.

#46 ·
Not a problem here I'm only home on the weekends so I don't have to worry about staring at it everyday wondering why it won't shoot out a new leaf, lol... I get home on Fridays wondering how everything will look and I'm amazed at all the change not only in my tanks but in my other plants as well. I have heard that C bullosa is not an easy one to grow but based on your picks it is an amazing plant when it gets bigger. How long did it take you to get it to that size? I'm excited about all the other crypts I got from you as well they have all sent up at least one new leaf even the keei that melted.

Len

#49 ·
Nice plants! Did you get them all from L4R?

L4R - got any buces you wanna trade? :)

I'll second the fact that c. bullosa is an extremely slow growing plant. Actually the slowest plant I've kept yet. IME, it grows a bit faster submersed in soft acidic water.

#53 ·
Well I will be doubling my emersed crypt collection in the next week or so, all of these are either on their way to me or will be there in the near future, all but the nurii 'pahang mutated' are emersed grown so they will all feel at home in my emesed trays.

C albida
C becketti
C ciliata
C cordata
C lucens
C nurii
C nurii 'pahang mutated'
C pygmae
C spiralis
C undulata
C wendtii ??
C wendtii ‘florida sunset’ ??
C wendtii 'green gecko' ??
C wendtii 'mi oya'
C willisi x lucens ??

The question marks are ones the seller wasn't a 100% sure on but I couldn't pass on the deal he offered 14 different crypts for $26, can't beat less than 2 dollars a crypt.

Len

#58 ·
Hrm... do you think the amount of water in the tray has something to do with the humidity? Cause I've filled the train with about an inch of water and now I'm starting to think that's way too much since with that much water it'll be harder to heat up with my lamp and so there will be less evaporation. How much water do you have in there?

#59 ·
Up to about 1/2" to the top so alot more than you, how are you measuring humidity? also if the temp where the tray is is high you won't see as much condensation on the walls of the dome. Condensation only occurs when there is a temp difference on the surface that is being condensated on. My ambient temperature in the apartment is 70-74 degrees F and the humidity stays between 55-60% (this may be a factor as well, I don't know). I have a ton of plants in my apartment so my humidity levels are much higher than most, I actually work to keep them below 60% so I don't get any mold or fungus growing on anything (now that winters coming it won't be that big of an issue).

Len

#62 ·
What is your review of the hydrocol clay balls? I'm thinking of trying them. I have an empty 20L in on my Table "rack". How deep did you go? I'm thinking Cryts & Java fern. Not sure if the Java will work???

I currently use MTS in my emeresed tanks.

Thanks
I really don't have much to review right now, I only have lagenandras in it right now and they have only been in there for a couple weeks, the biggest issue is supporting the plant until they root, my L thwaitesii was pretty big and it kept falling now that it has developed some roots it supports itself. I'm going to try some crypts in it this weekend to see how they do in it. I saw a thread at APC where a russian hobbiest was using hydroton and his crypts and anubias's where growing great so I know it works. I really wish they sold it in a size about half of what it comes then it would be great.

Len

#66 ·
Len - Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing how well the crypts do in that media.

I now have an Acrylic 40gl available http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/150325-o-k-so-wasnt-good-idea.html :eek5: I think it will make a good hydroponic tank. I have an idea about making a circulation pump from a power head.
Well I just planted a C wendtii in it so we will see, I did have an issue with a L meeboldii I had in it but I'm not sure if it was an issue with the plant. It was originally submersed grown and it had melted bad by the time I planted it. When I got home today the rhizome had esentially melted, I cut the bad part away and planted the rest in AS malaya so we'll see what happens, a L thwaitesii I have in it has rooted well and is solidly in the pot so we'll see if it was a fluke.

Len

#69 ·
Wow Len, I totally missed this. We are, in fact, on the same page :) that is the same rack I was going to get even :) I got a Buce 'Sintang" if you are up for a trade soon. It just flowered underwater but its got some nice sized side shoot id trade. You got a few crypts id like to add to my collection. Haha, we are even on the same page on the terrestrial mosses. I got a few of those too. Along with 11 submergable mosses :) Great work and I cant wait to see this thread progress, its super nice. And I see you get some of your stuff from great guys like L4R ;)

#70 ·
Hmmm...okay then I guess I'll see then. I've seen FAN's grow zones. They keep them under a huge like pavilion thing in open air in Florida. So humidity is probably like a constant 70%

#72 ·
Well I went more high tech I set up a 40 breeder with a circulation pump and the coolest thing ever a mistking, if you have ever seen the misters like they have in the vegetable section at some grocery stores it is like that, I figure if veggies like it them my aroids will too, it's a test for my terrarium anyways. I'm going to let it run a day or so then add plants. I want to see where temp and humidity stay on it.

Len

#75 ·
You asked for pics here you go..

Some specs
Tank: 40G breeder (thanks $1 a gallon special petco)
Light: 2 x 6500k T8 (I'm planning on a 36" light fixture have to figure out what though(
Water Circulation: small powerhead (I plan on drilling the tank and adding a sump)
Air Circulation: small CPU fan
Humidity: Glass top and mistking (I mist twice a day for 20s right now)

Full set-up (the mistking pump is under the tank on the floor)

Full tank from the front (you can see the PC fan in the upper right corner)

The mistking mister (more high tech than needed but it is neat)

And now for why I set this up the Bucephelandra collection (oh yeah there are some nice crypts and lagenandras as well)

B sokan - this was one of the first ones I got and I really like it (it has a few new roots coming off it now)

B sokan 3 'Shine Blue' (I've had it one week and already it has small fuzzy roots)

B sokan 4 'Shine Green' (I didn't see any new roots but their is some fresh growth at the tip of one of the long roots)

B sanggau 2 (This is one of the bigger ones I got)

B longwave 2 (already has a new root also a larger one)

B kapit (One of my first one 3 weeks old, it has 2 new leaves and a new root) I love the small size

B belindae (You don't see leaves like this very often)

B s malinau (unfortunatly this one has melted, the rhizome still looks good so I have my fingers crossed, this is why I have a new emersed set-up)

Well I hope you like my new plants and set-up stay tuned and I'll keep you up to date on how they grow for me.

Len

#82 ·
Beautiful plants. They seem to be acclimated already. Are you keeping the mister in the tank permanently? Also, have you decided how high you are keeping the water level?

I am still not sure what caused one of them to melt. Maybe someone else who have experience with these can chime in.
I got your PM after I left for the week so I had already left the water lower, I'm thinking I will keep it slightly above the rim going forward (I think it will really benifit the crypts). I will eventually put the mister in the terrarium I'm working on but I wanted to see how it works so I put it in here. I'm actually going to go sandstone hunting this weekend and try tying the 'shine green' on it and see how it grows, I think the mister will really help for keeping it moist on the rock. I am really impressed with the growth I've seen in the week they have been here, those little fuzzy roots are pretty neat. As far as the one goes I'm not sure what happened to it but the rest seem fine (I guess natural selection was working and it wasn't strong enough, lol)

Len

#89 ·
It's a 12v fan so I'm not really worried about moisture and electricity and if the fan fails it cost $5 so I'm not really worried there either, I actually dropped it in the water and it still runs , lol... Current forming a magnetic field that drives the fan is really hard to break the only real issue would be corrosion and the fan seizing up..

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.