The Planted Tank Forum banner

Any bakers out there?

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Alaizabelle 
#1 ·
This week I'm making my second wedding cake (Yay!) This time I'm learning to make gumpaste and royal icing flowers... only a few hundred of them!

Starting with the gumpaste flowers today!

Anyone else in the fishy community do any baking or decorating?

#4 ·
I do enjoy baking & have catered but would NEVER do wedding cakes - brides are certifiably crazy! The only thing worse is preggers. Wanted to learn how to do the "pretty fancy" stuff, can make simple decorations, an ex SIL (or sister of significant other) used to do some Wedding cakes but haven't been closer than watching TV cake boss & such in 20 years.
I'd be happy to sample or dispose of mistakes for ya, LOVE wedding cake of most any kind- YUM!
Can't wait to see pics of your cake(s) and decorations - don't wory about how the first few (hundred) look on the flowers, once ya "get it" the knack is yours for life just get whomever eats your mistakes an excercise bike for VD day.
You are gonna make a super Planted Tank Cake when ya get good at it right?
Luck & Fun,
Kat
Kat

#5 ·
I know how to bake cakes. I mean, I have watched plenty of Cake bosses so I must be pro now....right?

#8 ·
what is the dif between regular cinnamon and Vietnamese? is the Viatnamese more like the real stuff or the junk we get at the grocery store?

and btw a planted tank cake would rock, my soon to b wife was saying something about having a cake that looks like a tank for our wedding... my family is in the high end catering business and the baker that does all the cakes is unbeleviable. makes things like you see on the baking competitions on tv when they have multiple teams trying to make a cake 3d/realistic...

#9 ·
I love to bake! Different breads and my famous cookies, mostly, but I've been known to do a cake or two.

The only decorating experience I have, though, is when I organized my sister-in-law's bridal shower. We had a tea party, and I made hats out of sugar cookies with mini cupcakes on top, frosted over to make the shape of the hat, and then piped flowers and ribbons on.

#10 ·
Hehe, brides can be pretty crazy! I've helped with weddings a lot, but just started doing the cakes.

This bride wants a 4 tier, 3 different flavors and fillings, and gave me a wedgewood blue paint chip to match the fondant to. Pretty complicated decorations (at least to a newbie to this like me!) Only needs 200 servings, but insists that the cake must have a 16 inch base....whatever, it's her cake :p

780 flowers down for today!

#16 ·
Haha, that would be great!!

Now to find someone who will let you do that. If you do, they are a keeper! Probably won't ever bother you about 'too many tanks'. :p

Unless of course they use that against you all the time.... "Yea, but remember how I let you have a fish cake...."

#15 ·
Don't do much baking. Make an outstanding cheesecake though. Love to cook. Italian especially. With handmade, hand rolled pasta of course and homemade gravy. (Yeah it's called gravy not "sauce".) Use to work in a club on weekends with my cousin as a chef.

#19 ·
I just use dark chocolate chips, pulse them in the blender a few times to make smaller pieces. On the stove, bring 1 cup cream to a boil. You then just pour the boiling cream onto the chocolate and mix until melted. Then I like to add some vanilla and some rhum agricole. I find the rhum makes the chocolate taste so good!

#21 ·
I love to bake! I make my own bread, cookies and things. I made rose and almond tea cookies recently. One of my popular recipes seems to be chocolate challah bread. :D I even made some rose jelly to go with the bread.

...I just wish I could make them pretty. T_T My loaves and cookies are so ugly but they taste good...

#25 ·
Ooo, thanks for the link, I'll have to try it out sometime!

Haha, I know what you mean about making something amazing and then having no one to witness it's awesomeness! I'll make a really nice meal, and ten minutes afterwards my Grandma has completely forgotten that she's even eaten! (She has Alzheimer's, and I'm her live in caretaker)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.