The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 gal Fire Shrimp Tank Journal! (Pic Heavy!)

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Alaizabelle 
#1 · (Edited)
This will document the (hopefully) successful growth of my new 10 gal shrimp tank!

Current Specs:
10 gallon tank
x2 10 watt CFL bulbs
HOB Aquaclear 30 with a fluval sponge over the intake
1 inch peat moss, 2 inches Black Beauty "Sand"

Current Plants:

Wisteria from two sources
Java fern
Echinodorus Angustifolia 'Vesuvius'
Crypts of some sort
Marimo ball
Blyx Japonica or however you spell it :p

Current Inhabitants:
7 Neon Tetras
4 long finned blue eye albino pleco babies
? Fire shrimp

Current Picture:

Older:

See less See more
#3 ·
Starting the Tank

This took place on Monday, April 11th, 2011

First I added 1 inch of pre-soaked peat moss

Next was about two inches of Black Beauty substrate

Then, I planted three stems of Wisteria and two Java fern (held down above substrate by hooking a plant weight over them and burying the end of the hook)

All filled and ready to run:

#5 ·
A few pics of the shrimp

Here are my little shrimplets right when they arrived! I took them out of their bag and put them in this cup for a 4 hour drip session :)

Not the best pic in the world, but here is one of the shrimp today, chilling on the Vesuvius

Another little shrimplet hanging out in the clump of Java Moss

#9 ·
Yesterday I went manzanita hunting up in the hills, and today I'll pick up some CFL bulbs (that's what they are called, right? Haha, I can never remember!)

Hopefully if lectures get out on time, I can put up some new pics of the wood and everyone can help me decide which to use!

#10 ·
Sorry about the lack of updates, today's the last day of finals and then.... SUMMER!!! :p

Everyone in the tank is doing well, I can't believe how fast these little shrimp are growing! I've added a small Oto cat in the tank, to keep algae down and clean up the shrimp's leftover pellets :) (Ok, it was mainly because he was adorable, and I was getting some for my big tank!)

Here is the tank today: (sorry about the glare...I need to buy some curtains :p and ignore the blob of shrimp food on the floor...)

The clump of java moss in the back left will be tied to a piece of manzanita once it's done soaking! Oh! And the Vesuvious have stopped melting and started to put out some new growth, so I'll be taking out the dead leaves soon! The wisteria is growing great, nice and compact :) I was afraid of it getting leggy, but it's doing well and branching out on it's own!

#11 ·
Update:

There was a tragedy in the shrimp population :( The poor little guy wasn't acting right, and then was shortly dead. Everyone else is acting fine and dandy, so I'm hoping that it was an isolated event!

The next day, I changed things around a bit to add the piece of wood and a few crypts. I pulled the christmas moss and put it in another tank. It was too close to the peacock moss, I didn't want them to mix! o.0

There's a pic from a few minutes ago up in the first post :)
And here's some shrimp pics! If they'd cooperate and hold still a little more, they would be better, sorry!

For still being so tiny, I'm pretty impressed with their color :)

#13 ·
I have been pretty much ignoring this tank in favor of playing with other ones.... today it finally got some attention!

How it looked thismorning *Hangs her head in shame* Horrid, I know!

After a bit of moving things around, welcome to the afternoon look! Sorry it's still cloudy and messy, I'm impatient :p

I'll be playing with it more in the next few days, I didn't want to traumatize the fishies any more than I already had today!

Also.... It's been great for plant growth, but.... I will NEVER put down peat moss again! So messy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.