The Planted Tank Forum banner

That was really cool!

591 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hedge_fund 
#1 ·
For the first time ever, I witnessed a molt! It was one of my orange neos, at first I thought it was dying or something, then all of a sudden... POP! Out it shot of it's old shell.
They are such silly floppy looking things when they are fresh out :p

#5 ·
To be at night. Is that because they feel safer as they can hide better?
Yes, in general, it is safer at night because many of their predators would be resting. It also reduces their likelihood of being spotted by anything that would eat them, especially at such a vulnerable stage in their lives. This is why freshly molted shrimp in a tank with fish tend to hide for a day before coming out. They need to wait for their exoskeleton to harden first.

#7 ·
Same thing happened to mine so I started to video tape and I actually caught the whole thing. I just need to host it to youtube today...:bounce:

I saw a shrimp sitting on my moss and all of the sudden it fell and landed on its back. Legs were all twitching. I grabbed my phone camera since I thought the thing was dying. All of the sudden it just popped out of its shell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.