The Planted Tank Forum banner

New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!!

113K views 574 replies 143 participants last post by  Clear Water 
#1 · (Edited)
In the process of building my own fish room something i always wanted to do. I am setting up 20- 75gallon, 30- 29gallon, and 20- 10 gallon. I am going to breed angels, discus, rams, and guppies mainly. I plan on doing some oscars but i have heard they take a little time. The water by me is from a well and has ph of 6.5 so its perfect for South American ciclids. Im getting building spray foamed next weekend and then i will start racks and order tanks.

LIGHTING... All tanks will get cfl bulbs..some 1, some 2.
HEATING.... All tanks will get a heater determined by size of tank.
WATER CHANGES.... I am going to put 1" bulk heads in all tanks and run a water inlet f9r each tank. That way all i have to is turn water on and let it go out. I am going to use a 50 gallon water heater and put a valve on the hot and cold outlet of tank. Then i am going t9 put a temp probe and adjust valves till water mixture is 78 degrees. From thereit will go to water lines throughout the room.
FILTRATION.... setting up central air using linear pump and using sponge filters.

Heres a couple pics of my work so far... any suggestions or concerns will be helpful.

See less See more
#542 ·
Well midas layed eggs again today. Took all previous babies out of tank and put in another 75g so parents could breed again. Only took them a week. Also angels started pairing up. Have 1 blue platinum and 1 blue marble platinum pair now. Seperated 12 orange koi into 2 groups of 6 so they have a little more room to pair off.

Africans are going strong and as of now I have 4 batches of babies to sell. All 2"+. Have another 4 pregnant females also.

Just a little update that's all.

#546 ·
updates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updatesupdates updates

#549 ·
Get that 24/7 webcam running!!

So when can I expect my shipment of angels?

#551 ·
I guess as soon as their old enough to sell. With 10 pair of angels I get atleast one batch a week. Right now my oldest batch is only 2 weeks old. So once their old enough to sell I should have angels to sell every week from that point on. If all goes well. Right now I'm still working out all the kinks such as cleaning and maintenance of fry tanks and feeding. Right now I'm feeding microworms since it is much easier and safer than bbs. Not sure if growth is any slower but if it is it cant be much. And I dont have to wory about hatching them and the bbs fouling the water. MW live in water for days.

#550 · (Edited)
Hey bgallodoro24, I haven't been on the forum since August but it's nice to see you made some real good progress. Last I remember you had just finishing staining, lol. Now she's operational and running with life......Sweet! I am happy for you. You put in some serious effort and funds. Have you ran any lfs out of business yet, lol.

#552 ·
Hey bgallodoro24, I haven't been on the forum since August but it's nice to see you made some real good progress. Last I remember you had just finishing staining, lol. Now she's operational and running with life......Sweet! I am happy for you. You but in some serious effort and funds. Have you ran any lfs out of business yet, lol.
No havent run them out of buisness yet but they are definitely in a dire need for angels. For some reason the hatchery they are buying from has none because all 10 lfs around me have none. Good for me I guess. Lfs told me they pay $5 a piece for full coverage koi, black, and blue angels. Not bad but I know I can get more selliny online. Just easier to move larger amounts with lfs. I dont think I have a hatchery around me to sell to but that would be great too.

#555 ·
So what's going on these days? Why no updates?

#558 ·
Sorry guys been pretty busy. Started a new job. Everything is going pretty good. I have three tanks of baby angels about Nickle size and five tanks of fry. My orange koi came down with a case of hex which was all 5 pairs. Only 2 are stil struggling. I will have to take so more pics for you guys. Actually have some Nickle size babies from a double dark black and a full coverage koi pair. They are my favorite. All black bodies with orange gold trim on fins. Their fins are also twice the size of their body.

#560 ·
Well im back lol and selling to pet shops. Sold $1000 in 2 weeks and that was our first sales. Its going so good right now. The pet shops are loving it. They havent had any angels in over a year for some reason. I havent even thought about selling online yet cause im just getting the hang of bagging and bringing to the lfs. As of now all my tanks are full of angels. I even bred a black with a full coverage koi and came up with a beautiful angel. Their fins are so long. I sold all i had except 8 so i can get 2 pair and then sell the rest. The africans are going really good as well. I fool with the angels and my dad does the africans. Its just too much for one person to do. As far as time involved it takes me about an hour a day during the week and about 2 to 3 hrs on Saturday. Our water in water out method is great. Everyday i change about 25% water while imdoing other things like hatching bbs and cleaning fry tanks. I will post some updated pics as soon as i can.

#561 ·
Don't bother with hatch bbs. You can either buy or make decapped Brine shrimp. Then fern the them strait too the fry. No hatching needed. Less waist and more nutrients. The angel fry take to them real fast.
Plus the decaps help you. Less smell. More room and time for other activities. Lastly you don't have to worry about hatch rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.