The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mystery invert question

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jeremy va 
#1 ·
I found some of these guys in two tanks today. Both have had plants from a plant vendor in them and both have had moss covered rocks in them from a local stream. They may be planeria of some kind which I've not seen before, but they are way bigger than the ones I've seen - about 2" when fully extended and they don't have the planeria "ears". They are pretty amazing: they seem to move about under the substrate in little tunnels (some run along the side of the glass) and come out and ooze about during the day or night. Their rear end (I'm guessing here) has some sort of sucker on it and they stick to the glass with it then sorta rear up and stretch out. The remind me of inchworms. Their front end is much narrower. They also swim like eels. I've used google images and done several searches on terms like "brown planeria". There is an aquatic earthworm that sorta fits the bill. There is something called a Ribbon Leech which supposedly has a sucker on both ends but I don't see a sucker on the front end of these guys. I even tried "leeches in my fish tank" but only got a very funny string on the Barr Report where it sounded like nobody could positively ID them either. Anybody know what they are?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Also, what I would do if all else fails is take those photos & send them 2 your state conservation dept or someone similar & have someone look @ em & they might b able to tell u or send u or the pics 2 someone who can... Good look & if u do find out what they r let us know cause I'm curious myself 2 know what they really r. :smile:

#8 ·
Anyone know absolutely, definitely for sure?

I mean, I thought they looked leech like. But they also look worm-like. There are rather many different leeches and I would also like to know what kind this is (if it is a leech). Leeches are supposed to have two suckers (front and rear). This one has a rear, for sure, but I've not seen a front one in action. They must also have "34 actual segments" but I can't count them -- too small. There are also aquatic earthworms though I don't think an earthworm would have a sucker.

#10 ·
Your location on your profile says "Va" so I am assuming u live n Virginia :confused: If so, here is the VA Dept of Conservation info. Give em a call or shoot an email 2 em. That's what I would do. What do u got 2 loose? Good luck & hope this helps :proud:

Department of Conservation and Recreation
203 Governor Street | Richmond, VA 23219-2094
(804) 786-1712

Please send website comments to web@dcr.virginia.gov
Address general inquiries to pco@dcr.virginia.gov

#11 ·
A sucker is a pretty classic indicator for leeches. It may not use the front one- I've seen ones that primarily hang on with the posterior sucker and crawl around and stuff.

Leeches and earthworms are both annelid worms, so there will be some similarities (ringed/segmented body plan, etc.), for what that's worth.

#12 ·
Stevekx500, OK, I sent the VCR an e-mail. They will probably be here at 4 am kicking down the door when they come to arrest me for having some sort of dangerous invasive species. I'll blame you. :)-)

(This actually happened to someone who posted on a forum regarding Cana snails (which are eating FL). Apparently the person posted on the fact that they kept some in tanks and received a visit from the appropriate authorities who demanded they hand over the prohibited snails...)

Thanks, though!

#14 ·
OK, so I got a call from a biologist associated with parks and recreation -- nice guy. Told me for sure it is a leech. However, species will remain a mystery bcse they are extremely hard to ID without a microscope and some reference books. Good news is that it is probably a vegetarian. Actually it is probably a vegan. There's an irony. Thanks for the help folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.