The Planted Tank Forum banner

my little eden

52K views 213 replies 36 participants last post by  bluestems 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated 03.11.13

specs
7g Aqua Pro aquarium (50cm x 20cm x 22cm) - a nice little inexpensive find from a lfs
ADA Aquasky LED 45cm (1st gen on a pre-order pricing deal)
Eheim 2210 filter w/ Do!Aqua lily minis, with purigen & bio media
CO2 paintball canister w/[STRIKE] Aquatek mini regulator & solenoid[/STRIKE] upgraded to more reliable GLA Atomic Paintball regulator v2 w/ solenoid
Do!Aqua diffuser & bubble counter
Okho stone & mazanita wood w/ ADA aquasoil new amazonia

flora
eleocharis acicularis
hemianthus callitricoides
nymphoides sp. Tawain (added 2/13)
phyllanthus fluitans
dwarf red lily

fauna
boraras maculata x9 (10 of orig. 11 died during co2 mishap; 8 reintroduced 1/25/13)
danio erythromicron x2 (male & female pair)
[STRIKE]corydoras pygmaeus x5[/STRIKE] moved to new home
caridina multidentata x3
[STRIKE]caridina cantonensis sp. Bee x2[/STRIKE] (RIP, lost during co2 mishap)
pangio kuhlii x2

I've had many tanks in the past, from nanos to 75 gals, but this will be my first time using ADA method. After searching and patiently waiting for the soil, the setup is coming along...

With the exception of the bulky light, I love it! :biggrin: I wanted a setup like this since seeing Amano's tanks many years ago.

This is the inspiration I'm looking to base my tank on:

It's the flatirons overlooking Boulder, CO. My family and I moved to the Seattle area nearly six years ago, but I still miss the Rockies and the flatirons that I used to hike. This little tank will be sitting on the corner of my desk and it already gives me warm & fuzzy feelings as I sit here typing this. :icon_cool

My husband doesn't get it...

Here's a mock up a possible rock and soil layout. It's a little silly looking, but I think it's gives the general idea of what's in my head:

I'm still working out the plantings, but am thinking it will be mostly carpeting groundcovers with possibly a slightly taller planting coming through the valley. HC, Glossostigma elantinoides, & Riccia fluitans. I'm not sure yet on anything else. For fish, I'm considering a large skoal of ember tetras or a grouping of three types: dwarf spotted rasboras, crossbanded dwarf rasboras, and celestial pearl danios; possibly otocinclus.

But, first... I need to find the stone. The fish stores here don't really stock much in the way of nano tank sized stone, and the one ADA store in Seattle had a total of 4 pieces of seiryu stone that weren't very textured or shaped well for my idea. I've contacted the ADA shop in TX, and trying to find some bonsai shops with a good selection. If anyone has an idea of where I might pick up some seiryu or ryuo stone in the Seattle area, I would greatly appreciate knowing!

Thanks for letting me share my little project!

ps- I have approx. 2 liters of the normal Amazonian style soil left over... anyone have any power type that they'd like to trade or sell?

See less See more
#2 ·
The stones you have photoshopped in might be to small. If the stones your are looking for are placed that flat they will be hidden by the ground cover. Overall I like the layout just keep in mind that taller rocks would be the way to go if you want to see them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely want the rocks to protrude above the plants. The height of my soil now is about where I would like the top of my groundcover, but I didn't have that yet so was using it for a visual on scaling the rocks. I'm most likely going to be taking it down quite a bit.

I purchased a large bag and have at least 2 liters left over. If anyone is interested in it let me know.

#7 ·
How I miss coming over the hill on 36 and seeing the valley. *sigh* I moved to Boulder for college, met my husband and lived there for 14 years before moving to Seattle. Nice people here, but I miss the sunshine!

Do you live in the Golden, Longmont or Lafayette direction?

edited to say that I'm blind. Your profile clearly states that you live in NORTHGLENN.

#8 ·
Your tank definitely shows promise. Can't go wrong with an AquaticLife fixture, either. ;) However, due to the height of that tank you may have to suspend it above the tank to avoid excessive algae. Your inspiration shots look lovely. Hopefully you can use it to your advantage and make something even better! I look forward to seeing this progress.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words. :) I've been looking for a suspension kit for the light, but am not sure I want to keep it. The Marineland Double Bright was recommended in another thread... I might give it a try, although I've heard mixed reviews on LEDs.

Edited to say that I won't be going with the Marineland light fixture as it doesn't seem to be made well (lots of reports of bulbs going out).

#12 ·
I think you have some great ideas. I really like the look of scapes like the ones you've shown as your inspiration.

I agree that you want to be sure your plantings don't obscure the rocks too much. Rocks have a way of shrinking once the tank is fully planted! Even low carpeting plants like HC have a way of hiding the rocks more than you expect, especially in a small tank. You may need to go with larger rocks than you think you need.

Also, it has been my experience that the substrate tends to flatten out over time, so that nice slope you've shown may not last. I try to use rock placement to reinforce the slope (this can also slow down hairgrass from completely taking over). That's sort of what I did with this tank, although eventually it did flatten out. This is a 2.5 gallon tank, and when I first put the rocks in, they looked huge!

Attachments

#14 ·
GMYukonon24s said:
Them are some great inspirations. Also nice tank chicken.
Thanks, and I agree... that's a beautiful tank Chicken!

I hope my gc will fill in as nicely as yours. :)

Thanks, and I really like the ADA planting too in that one. It just reminds me of the rocky grassland in that area.

I do hope to use the stone to reinforce the slopes. Although it looks like small rocks sitting on top of the slope, they actually used larger rocks that were placed first on some soil, then piles of soil were added in around them.

In my tank, I'm thinking about 1/2-2/3 of the stones will be "planted" and hopefully this will keep the slopes in place. I do intend to lower the soil quite a bit, so the picture you see now is more of where I intend the top of the plantings to grow/be trimmed to. The soil line in the mock up was used just so I could get a visual of how the rock should look in the finished scape. I've heard Amazonian breaks down over time, which may also contribute to the compaction and sinking effect...?

Going to a new LFS today, crossing fingers that I find my flatirons. :icon_smil

#15 ·
Chicken, did you use a dry start or not for the HC to get established in the soil? I just noticed it looks like you used normal type Amazonian (or a substrate with similar sized granules). I wasn't planning on doing a dry start and am wondering if I should add a layer of power type soil to help the groundcovers stay put while the roots develop a foothold.

#16 ·
No, I did not use a dry start for the HC. I planted with just a little water in the tank, filled it carefully, and it did fine. There was the occasional stem or clump that wouldn't stay planted at first, but it wasn't a big deal.

In the long run, the dry start wouldn't have been all that helpful to me. After awhile, the HC would grow into such a thick layer that it worked best to pull it out and replant it. So a dry start might have worked well when setting up the tank, but not for subsequent plantings.

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. :icon_smil That was from a few years ago. It looks like this now: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1744961-post21.html

#18 ·
Nice tank idea, looking forward to seeing some progress on this. I just visited family that lives in Colorado Springs for the first time and I can definitely understand the warm, fuzzy feeling and the thoughts behind the inspiration of your tank. It was gorgeous out there.

#19 ·
Hi Eholt & Kamikazi, thanks for your posts. Sorry it's been a while since I've been on, I'm just seeing your replies now. :icon_redf

Since my tank is pretty narrow (only 20cm), it was difficult trying to create the depth of the foreground needed to get the original look that I was going for. So, I decided instead to create something a little more abstract...

Here's the view from where I sit at my desk...

The angle of the stone pattern reminds me of the flatirons, as I imagine them closer, from a birdseye view. Even though flagstone wouldn't be as pitted... I liked the way the texture of this stone helps to create some depth to the tank.

The soil is not yet finished (thus the sloppy look of it now). I'm getting in some aqua soil amazonia powder for the top layer, and figuring out what plants to do. Thinking of staying pretty low with ground covers.

All I need now is my CO2 system and I'm looking to swap out the light for a sleeker version.

Getting excited to seeing it come together. =)

#20 ·
Just thought I'd say that I love the idea behind this tank. I live in Boulder, so I see the Flatirons every day. I just love the idea of a tank based on them. Can't wait to see how this tank turns out. :)

#24 ·
thanks, John! I'm waiting for aqual soil powder type to be back in stock at AFA as I think it will look better as the top layer.

In the meantime, I'm working on what plants to do... either a single, low ground cover or a trio that is mostly ground cover with two additional but I'm not sure what yet. :confused:

#25 · (Edited)
Here's a sketchy idea for a planting plan:

the large plant in the left is a green tiger lotus (too big?) surrounded with dwarf hair grass (eleocharis acicularis); riccia fluitans growing in the holes on the rock and hc for the groundcover.

Another idea is to skip the lotus and just stick with the dhg, riccia and hc:

#26 ·
I think these will be the inhabitants...

spotted dwarf rasboras x9

tiger shrimp x6

African dwarf frogs x2

I've had the frogs in tanks in the past and looking forward to having them again. :biggrin:

Also, I sold the light fixture and am all set to order this light just as soon as the aqua soil powder comes in... sometime this week! It's sooooo hard being patient. I thought about driving to Portland to visit the Wet Spot to get the items. :icon_wink

#28 ·
small world =) I've never hiked up to the arch, but I hear it's beautiful! Chautauqua is still one of my favorite parks... we were thinking of renting one of the cottages for a future family vacation.

I still need a few more items before I can plant. I'm awaiting a shipment of Mekong sand for a top layer and some ADA Brightly Step 1. All that is left is the CO2 setup, and a light. I was all set to purchase the Archaea LED, then ADA announces:

I REALLY want this light... but the Archaea is $80 vs. the initial pricing of ~$325 for the 45cm.

Not sure what to do. :confused1:

#33 ·
Update!

I've made some decisions finally on a light, CO2 setup and heater. yay! Still *patiently* waiting on the Aquasky 451 to come in... it's supposed to arrive this week at ADA store in San Francisco.

In the meantime, I thought I'd set up what I have, planted with a bit of dhg and hc to begin cycling.

It's hard to see, but there is also a dwarf red lily to the left of the stones in front of the dhg, and I'm planning on purchasing more HC to fill in the right side.

I dunno... it's not quite as I thought it would be. I'm not sure the setup is right for the tank dimensions. Maybe the stone needs another plant of some sort... something that will stay low. Also considering something that can take low light conditions under the rock overhang, and maybe bringing some dhg down into the cove area.

Any suggestions?

#43 ·
Following along. :)

I've made some decisions finally on a light, CO2 setup and heater. yay! Still *patiently* waiting on the Aquasky 451 to come in... it's supposed to arrive this week at ADA store in San Francisco.
I called them and they finally got them in from Japan on Thursday (10/11).

They are not on the website yet, so I called again and ordered the 60P one. Can't wait for it! They also said the quantity they received was extremely limited, anyone who wants one should call asap before they sell out.

#36 · (Edited)
I was all set to order the Archaea, then ADA announced the 45cm aquasky and I really like the styling of it. I'll be suspending it without the frame for this tank, but may move into a Do!Aqua mini L down the road.

callisto9 said:
Looks great Sherry! Beautiful work.
Thanks, Erin. Just getting it started... ran out of patience! I'll fill in the rest of the HC ground cover and add another to the rock (maybe riccia) after the light arrives. Will be starting CO2 then also.

I'm so freakin' excited though just to have water in the tank. It's been sitting on my desk as a rock sculpture for months.

How's your tank doing? Has it cycled? Post an update :smile:

#40 ·
ADF do eat brine shrimp, but they don't have teeth (they swallow the food whole), are fairly slow, and seem to keep to themselves. There's mixed reports, but one report states that African clawed frogs are usually the aggressors, not ADF. So, I'm going to give it a try. No doubt, they'd most likely eat any juvies they can catch, but I'm not intending to breed so it'll probably work out.

If you get ADF, make sure to have a little cave or such for them. :smile:

#44 ·
woot!

mail came today! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

And, despite one box coming in like this... :icon_eek:

all was packed very well and intact. :smile:

The bracket is MUCH nicer than I expected. I'm seriously considering upgrading my tank to a 45P... if I can find one. Until then, I'm looking to suspend it without the bracket.

Can't wait to put it all together! More HC is on order, expecting by the end of the week. It's hard to believe that after months of waiting and anticipation, it's finally all coming together. :biggrin:

#47 ·
mail came today! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

And, despite one box coming in like this... :icon_eek:

all was packed very well and intact. :smile:

The bracket is MUCH nicer than I expected. I'm seriously considering upgrading my tank to a 45P... if I can find one. Until then, I'm looking to suspend it without the bracket.

Can't wait to put it all together! More HC is on order, expecting by the end of the week. It's hard to believe that after months of waiting and anticipation, it's finally all coming together. :biggrin:

So now it's the next day, my light is still sitting *next* to the tank while I ponder just how best to suspend it.

The easiest/cheapest route would be to drill four small holes, two on each side to accommodate a y-shaped hanging kit. I'd need something to bring the cord out towards the side of the tank, as the light is shorter than my tank by about 10 cm. I'm also not sure how big the suspension kit components are, and whether they would look in proportion to the light.

It might not be too difficult to create some kind of mount similar to the acrylic one, but without the legs. See pictures above... the lighting unit has an overhang on each side that cradles it in the gap. I could make the mount as wide as the tank (50cm) and guide the light cord to come down directly next to the side of the tank.

A third option could be to use some kind of small version of this metal gripper, two per each side along the metal lip of the light unit. I'm checking out what the hardware store has that might work...

Any other ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.