The Planted Tank Forum banner

(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

85K views 314 replies 69 participants last post by  Current USA 
#1 ·
What's up guys...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Finnex Monster Ray RGB LED 24" to work along side my Finnex Ray 2 24" on a 26g Bow Front. I'm getting a decent amount of growth from my plants with a single Ray 2 with about 40 PAR (medium light). However, all the plants grow green. I want to boost this up a bit but just enough... I am running pressurized co2 and dosing micro/macros via PPS-Pro method.

I've been thinking of getting the Monster Ray for the extra Red spectrum but was thinking the green would be useless and the Blue would be okay. Then I got to thinking, this would be a lot easier if Finnex just made a Ray 2 with Red LED's w/ White. I think I've heard un-confirmed rumors of this somewhere?

Well, then I stumbled upon this new fixture, the Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (which the 24" version has 48x White / 24x RGB LEDs = 18 watts). I like that is mixes 2 rows of (4x) 6500K white LED to every row (2x) of RGB along its strip.

So what do you think of this fixture to work in tandem with the Ray 2 at about 18" distance from light to sub? Will I get the extra boost, especially in the red spectrum to get the plants growing better? More importantly, to get my Rotala sp. to color up? I just don't see PAR numbers on this... I do like the controller though and the ability to customize the color output -- like increase "red". The "modes" on there like cloudy day and storm or what not are gimmicky, but I don't mind them...LOL, I actually think its neat to just entertain friends! But my main purpose is to grow color in my stems! Thoughts???

More info:
http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus

^^^^

See less See more
#117 ·
Best purchase I've ever made for my saltwater tank! Sadly I don't think I can squeeze the coverage out of one for a 36" tank :( Stubborn though, which is why I'll probably hang it over the freshwater tank to see for my self.

#118 ·
Does anyone have any information about how the SAT+ compares with the regular SAT in terms of PAR?

I'm aiming for medium light. My tank is about 18" deep and it seems like (from what everyone is saying a saying) a single SAT+ may not be bright enough to cut it. Essentially what I'm wondering is: would I need two SATs, two SAT+, or one of each?

#119 ·
Question

What size tank is it? How many gallons?

For med you need between 2 - 3 watts per gallon. Now I am not that knowledgeable regarding LED vs fluorescent or T5HO Flourescent but I was seriously considering the Sat+ in fact 2 of them but my tank is only 13 gallons in the display area so two of those fixtures would give me med light I would imagine. My tank is only 13" deep and after a couple inches of substrate is is more like 10.5". So I would think that it would work for me. Further if you are going to go that route I would go Sat+ and have 2 of them on there as they can both work in unison off same remote.
Now I think I am going to go with the AquaticLife 4 bulb T5HO unit with 96 watts of 4x24 T5HO bulbs and built in timer and moonlights. I figure I have many options with that light should I ever want to go SW, FOSW, Reef, Planted FW (like I am now) etc. I am going to initially set it up with 2 6700K 1 Pink and perhaps leave 1 10K in there. It has a built in timer with 3 separate grouping for individual on/off times. If I find that 2X24 watt lights are all I need then I can run one group or, run one group for a half ( the 10-12 hour) shift and then the 2nd for the remaining shift (5 or 6 hours) and then let the lunar lights come on for the night. Or just set one group to not come on or only come on for a minute or two and basically just use 1/2 the power or if I find I need all the 96 watts they are there. Beauty of this is good strong lite, built in digital times, only 1 power cord not several, allot of T5HO lights out there. Well built unit. A comparable LED fixture like the Maxspect would cost nearly double. Also these run pretty economically. Calculator said about 3.50 month.

That is just my two cents worth but I think it is a pretty strong arguement for the T5HO's. Par with this set up is not going to be an issue. Plenty there for anything on this tank. Tank is 24x12x13" 16 gallon tank from Innovative Marine.

If I get the Sat+ and later decide I think I want to try my hand at a reef tank I will be out looking for another light. More money.

Also the AquaticLife 4 tube T5HO unit is the same price as 2 Sat+ units. At Least the 24" ones are. Also you then have to2 units sitting on the tank. This unit will more or less cover the entire display surface of my tank from end to end and front to back.

Correct me please if I am wrong.

Bob

#121 ·
Bulb Cost

Yep about $12 on average. 4x12 = $48 or about $4 per month.
Difference between the same output maxspect a difference of about $200 at $4 per month tube cost gets me about 50 months of light bulbs. There is and should be a savings with LED and in many ways I really like them. But I get more light for my buck right now with T5HO units it seems.
Plus a bit more versatility spectrum wise by going with the T5's rather thank buying a SW specific or FW specific LED fixture. I feel the T5 fixture gives me more options over time. It is hard to dumb down an LED unit that is set to deliver 16K of light spectrum to 6700k for FW. They also are more into the blue spectrum than the pink that FW like.
I am not arguing with you I am just saying from my modest amount fo research and cost comparison I feel I would be getting more flexibility with that T5HO system today.

#122 ·
My tank is a 30"x19"x12" 29 gallon. At most the light would be about 18" from the substrate.

I'm looking for an economical option that will grow plants and doesn't look awful. Since the SAT is a little cheaper than the SAT+ (and has more white LEDs? what?) I was wondering if I could get away with using one SAT and supplementing the color with the SAT+. I'm not opposed to using T5HOs as long as they are economical in the long run (10+ years). Also, I'm not planning on growing anything crazy so I'm fine with only medium light.

I thought maybe just a single Finnex Ray 2 would work except a) I'm not running CO2* and I've heard the Ray2 is pretty strong (?) and b) I'm planning on some pretty tall hardscape elements and I'm worried about casting giant shadows all over the tank. I was thinking maybe one light in the front and one in the back might work. But, golly, I am open to some other suggestions. I'm not 100% sold on anything, I'm just trying to find the best option for my situation.

*yet... the next big thing to worry about [strike]oh god, this hobby. please send help[/strike]

#123 ·
We all love nature right, creating balanced eco systems? That's why most of us like planted aquariums? Yes? What about our own eco system and not having to toss mercury filled T5's in the landfills annually? Just playing devils advocate... Lol There's more than a monetary component here. But as consumers, the money aspect is more visible. I like the direction LEDs are headed in terms of offering more full spectrum options. I acknowledge, cost still needs to drop as the technology evolves. Putting aside the "green movement" in lowering our carbon footprint, i personally like not having to buy new bulbs, or dealing with lighting that gets too hot and raises my water temp in the summer, or just the added power consumption in general. Lord knows i already have a MTS problem, so all these little tanks add up on the power bill. Guess that's not that much of an issue if you have a single tank or if you have Oprah money...lol

#126 ·
Maybe waiting a few more months would be a wiser choice, I mean, Current USA said these fixtures were for the effect. It didn't really have planted tanks in mind.

Rumor has it that they're coming out with a new planted version of these fixtures, right Brian?

#131 ·
I just ordered 1 of these for my 36G Bow. It will be ~18.5" from the substrate which should give me low light. I'm estimating PAR in the low to mid 20's based on the numbers provided by Current.

ATM I'm using a Ray2 with CO2, but I bought the wrong regulator and it's been such a battle to maintain proper balance. In the end the tanks was supposed to be for the kids to have fish. I'm hoping with this fixture I can still keep some plants, have fish, and be able to have the lights on for 10-12hrs instead of the 7 hrs that seemed to be the max with the Ray2.

It should arrive by Tuesday of next week. If all goes well, my 6mo old Ray2 will be listed in the SnS. :)

#132 ·
Nice choice - I have to say, the kids LOVE this light, haha! Remote control madness! I just ask them during the natural daytime to leave it alone, on full spectrum. When the sun sets though, out come the thunderstorm LEDs! About 9 hours of total time on a day, with pressurized CO2, plants growing nicely in a 20 high in low to medium low light.

#143 ·
He was talking about the rumours of a new LED+ fixture made for growing plants. You guys realize this model was made mostly for it's effect right?

Unless you mean that you can "update" the system by buying a completely new fixture then yes, you can update it. :)

#144 ·
hmm, my 20 gallon high is 16 inches deep i believe, not sure if the PAR would reach fine for 18 inches, but in my tank the ground plants get enough low light for sure. that's with CO2 and dry ferts though. the cardinal flower plants are shooting up and even showing roots on the stems, so it's definitely growing.

and above post, gotcha on that - the RGB was more of a bells and whistles fun thing for the kids, but when it's serious plant growing time i leave it on full spectrum, and the plants do respond nicely - again, low and medium/low light plants.

#147 ·
I am planning a low tech 20L (no CO2, not much ferts) and this light seems to be perfect for that. I have a couple questions regarding this fixture before purchasing.

1. Does the build look solid enough to be OK on a open top aquarium? Sitting couple inches from the water surface?
2. Anyone have some info on how stem plants have done in this light? Do the bottom leaves stay intact?

Thanks

#151 ·
For those looking for higher light at deeper levels

I was at Petsmart yesterday and saw that they carry the Aqueon T5HO lights. They has twin 24" T5 light for $60. They bulbs were their 6700K and a flora light.
That is allot of lite for the $$$$$. Actually about 28 watts total as the 24" bulbs are rated at 14 watt.
I am considering the SatPlus but I am not certain it will provide the spectrum and PAR for high level demanding plants. My tank is max 12" deep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.