The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Galon tank

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ukrainetz 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of pulling my neons, rnt's, and zebra's out of my main tank. Instead I might plant my 10Gal for them (RTS are getting big). Whats your suggestion for an easy lighting solution? How about some of those 13watt spiral screw in fluorescents? Or should I instead get a 20 long and go for the 18" T8? It will be DIY co2, and I would be working on a tight budget :icon_neut

#8 ·
There are people with 96+ watts on a 10 gallon. As long as you keep up the CO2 levels and the dosing levels, it can be accomplished. Of course, whether you want to deal with such power is up to you. ;) You can grow more, but you're also more prone to algae.

Personally, two 13W spiral screw-in grew plants fantastically for me, as long as I had CO2 running (aka, I didn't get lazy to replace mixture when they ran out).

#9 ·
:) Great haeun. I guess if I go for a 20gal (I prob will), its a similar story. I do however like the tube fluorescents because I think they distribute the light more evenly. But it might be a pain riggin up a DIY fixture for them:(. Also, what kind of plants can you grow in your 10Gal? I'd like a small red plant for some contrast, a lot of short, good looking ground cover (with some thin, long leafed plants spiking up at random) and moss on driftwood. So the tank won't be stocked to the max with plants probably, but I will like nice looking plants....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.