The Planted Tank Forum banner

Questions on a ph controller

967 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Momotaro 
#1 ·
I was thinking of buying one and had a few questions. Theoretically, what would happen if the controller was set to a ph so low that you had unsafe levels of co2 in the tank? Do they run constant (as I am under this impression) or do they run intermittently, slowly getting to the predetermined setting? I guess I am asking because my current co2 setup (high pressure) gets me to about 7.0 or so while maintaining 35ppm co2 and was wondering if I would be able to get it any lower safely. Is there a lot of fine tuning to be done with the needle valve in order to get it properly configured? I know the main reason of having a controller is stability, but wondered if these issues could be addressed.

Which Milwaukee model would anyone suggest?

#2 ·
Theoretically, what would happen if the controller was set to a pH so low that you had unsafe levels of CO2 in the tank?
The controller would operate until the low pH was met. The CO2 levels in the aquarium would reach the specified unsafe levels.

Do they run constant (as I am under this impression) or do they run intermittently, slowly getting to the predetermined setting?
The controller will run constantly until your preset pH target is achieved.

Is there a lot of fine tuning to be done with the needle valve in order to get it properly configured?
The best thing to do is maintain your current setting on your needle valve. If the CO2 enters too quickly, you will drop your pH too quickly. If the CO2 enters too slowly, it will take a very long time to reach your preset pH target.

Which Milwaukee model would anyone suggest?
The SMS 122 is the only one I know!!! :wink:

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.