The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone successfully keep shrimp with fish?

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  AHGoodwin 
#1 ·
Anyone raise a successful colony of shrimp (anything other than amano) I an moderately to well planted tank with fish? I'm not talking about cories or micro fish. Normal sized tetras, barbs, rasboras. Anything larger? Rams? Apistos? Angels? Rainbows? Please only repsond with success or failure, no morality comments, I'm aware that shrimp are pretty low on the food chain.

#3 ·
Yes I do -- I can usually see about 15-20 visible adult shrimp. I rarely see juveniles unless I am trimming the plants. When I see them, that usually means they are moments from being spotted by a fish as well and then they get eaten. With moss cover and plants, it seems there is a stable population. Their biggest predators in my tank are the neons.

#8 ·
Most plecos can be kept with shrimp.

#16 ·
In my experience, a population of shrimp can usually be maintained in a heavily planted tank as long as none of the fish you have will prey on the adult shrimp. Rams, apistos, discus, and betta all seem to love to hunt down the adults. Most fish (guppies, tetras etc.) will take hatchlings and juview as long as they can catch them and will pick them off when they find them, but enough usually survive to keep the population going if they're given sufficient hiding places.

#18 ·
I keep 2 large discus, 4 GBR and along with cories and a good size colony of cherry shrimp in a well planted 75 the cherry population is increasing.They eat one here and there but do not predate enough to cause problems. I also have a 40 Brdr that has cherries with little africans (shellies) and the cherry population grows in it also, it is very heavily planted.

#22 ·
I have Red Cherries with Ottos, Guppies, Neons, Cloud Minnows, Threadfins and Rummynosed Tetras.

I see baby shrimp in the moss all the time. The shrimp population has really multiplied in a short period of time.

I find a lot of babies in the Fluval filters. They seem to grow very well in there. The first time I found them, they had been in the filter for a few weeks and were at least as large as the ones in the tank.

#24 ·
Thanks everybody! If I decide to try shrimp in my amazon community tank, it should be interesting, I have a pair of adult angels, 5 rams and some assorted tetras, along with metae cories and plecos and a 19 year old spotted Raphael cat. My tank is planted enough that I managed to have a few Cory fry survive. I think the shrimp may have a fighting chance.

#25 ·
I would not put them with apistos. I have been keeping apistos for a bit and they eat ANYTHING they can fit in their mouth. My male is slowly but surely eating my cpds!

I have had my celestial pearl danios 3 weeks maybe started with 10 now I have 7. My male apistogramma cacatuoides snacks on em.

Oh and forgot to mention, I bought 3 small 3/4 inch silver hatchetfish, he ate one and killed the other trying to eat it.

He is a dick but he is my pride and joy, I'm ok with buying him very expensive snacks occasionally. Here is a pic just because I want to show him off.

Long story short, if you try apistos you will likely be a sad ex shrimp owner.

#28 ·
I just added 30 neocardinia heteropoda to my 29g moderately planted tank with leopard danios and 2 pear gouramis. So far so good. None of the dannios have gone for the shrimp and the gouramis only try for them when one just happens to swim in front if it. Then when it does, the shrimp jumps away and is fine. Even a small baby that the gourami could have swallowed whole survived an encounter. I have a piece of drift wood with lots of holes and a little cave that is covered with moss on one side and brush algae on the other. The bottom of the tank has a good amount of chain swords as well. It is still early, but I do not foresee any issues. I will check back into this thread in a month or so and report on how the colony is doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.