The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 Tank running out fast!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  retoid 
#1 ·
I'm not exactly sure how long a small 5lb co2 tank should last on a 10gal aquarium. I'm guessing now that I might have a leak since I would refill the tank once a year when I had it on my 20gal high light, heavily planted tank. Now it pumps into a 10gal shrimp tank with some riccia, java ferns and xmas moss, heavily planted for the tank size. But it seems that the co2 is always running, trying to keep my pH at 7.3 and it drains in about 8 months is my guess.

What are some clever methods to check for leaks?
I've got a JBJ regulator with solenoid, tygon tubing with brass check valve into a glass diffuser. Same as what I had in my 20gal.

My tap water is kinda crap. Always saturated with coloforms and looks very cloudy. Tap is usually about 8.5pH and from 16kH to 20kH
Could adding an RO/DI filter possibly help with this?

#2 ·
The best method I know of to check for leaks is to mix a little liquid soap, like sold for dishwashing, with water, such that you can use it to blow bubbles with. Then swab or spray that on every single connection that could possibly leak CO2. Wait several minutes and look for tiny mounds of bubbles - those are caused by leaks. This is a messy way to do it, but it is effective.

#3 ·
ok thanks.
Any info on RO filters? Would they help?
I am considering buying an RO filter for more than this reason as well. Since our well water is almost always clouded with coliforms, it's rarely used for drinking in my household and is not very appealing either.
Could anyone suggest some good places to find well priced setups? I don't wnat to spend more than $200 on one.

Found this online a few days ago. http://www.purewateressentials.com/ro-00101.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.