The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY - Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 40" x 40" x 28" - 185 Gal

116K views 140 replies 67 participants last post by  majerah1 
#1 ·
Good day to Europe, I am French more precisely, i'm 26 (in advance thank you to forgive me for my English aproximatif, I use an online translator). :tongue:

I developed a certain passion for the world of paludariums, I love to imagine and create sets each time different and unique. Thank you to nature for inspiration innépuisable she gives me every time.

I have long wanted to share my creations. I am the author of the project entitled "Waterfall Paludarium" you may have seen on youtube also : Waterfall Paludarium HD 1080p - YouTube

Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Waterfall Paludarium (Project completed)

--------------------

And I now work for several months on a new project I titled Island Paludarium 360°. I was eager to introduce him.
Here is my blog for more details on its construction : Island Paludarium 360 ° (New Project)

Presentation of the New Project

Project status : Under construction
Type : Paludarium
Size of the tank : 40" x 40" x 28"
NET volume of the tank : 185 Gallon
Closed : Yes
Materials : 8mm glass tank, gallery and wooden furniture OSB
Lightning : 100% LEDs 9x30W
Aeration : Two PC fans (12cmx12cm)
Irrigation : A pump 1300L/h for the system of rain
Cascade/waterfall : A pump 2000L/h
Wave system : Vibration pump 5000L/h
Fogger/mist : 3 Fogger in the waterfall
Type of water : 100% rainwater (not limestone)
Type of scene : Natural & Artificial : Natural Seychelles sand, polyurethane foam rocks covered with waterproof mortar and acrylic paint, driftwood branch, artificial vines
Plants : Terrestrial and epiphytic (gardenia, frangipani, vanilla, ferns, orchids, tillandsia, ficus, helxine, moss)
Planting technique/substrate : Felt geotextile (kept wet by rain system)
Animals : Land hermit crabs (Pagou), drosophila for the atmosphere "gnats", probably snails (Neritina), and can be Agalychnis callidryas and crickets
Height of water : 5 in or 35 gal
TOTAL weight : Approximately 550 lb (including water)
Next step : Getting water, system rain creation, waves, waterfall, and mist

For this third project is an island 360° that I will realize, the tank is glass 8mm thick and 100cm fully closed side, the Seychelles natural sand will form a small island strewn with boulders, covered vegetation, driftwood branches and vines falling from the ceiling fill the space, and will be covered with orchids and moss (lots of moss).

Side vegetation, I will try with specific plants such as frangipani with its beautiful yellow flowers and the famous Flower of Gardenia Tiare Tahitensis, as usual with a database of several varieties of ferns and orchids Vanilla is climbing).

A system of artificial climate will be set up to recreate the rain (and therefore the natural watering of all plants by this technique), the waves will also fail on the outskirts of the island through a pump vibration and the wind that will provide aeration and naturally move the foliage.

For lighting, we go for the 100% LED, ie "High power" of the 30W unit, there will 9x30W ... I would also like to thank kdj2 a parallel forum for his very constructive post on its tests of these LEDs. I left without him definitely on turbo neon. However I have not yet done so to test for these LEDs there, but it will spend the time comes.

Plants :
Frangipani Plumeria rubra Yellow, Gardenia Tahitensis "Tiare Flower", Orchid Vanilla planifolia,
A dozen mini Orchids varied Driopteris atrata Fern, Ficus Ginseng
Fern Polypodium vulgare, Blechnum fern spicant, Tillandsia Brachycaulus,
Tillandsia Butzii, Areca palm, Ficus punctata Helxine, moss.​

See less See more
#114 ·
Re: Island Paludarium 360° A to Z - 2nd Month

Evolution of Vegetation - 2nd Month

Two months have passed since the installation of the plants. It was good to do a little state of play.

Vegetation grows perfectly from the beginning I was pleasantly surprised to see it particularly adapted quickly.

The principle of planting (the moss) that I experienced in this project (for all plants) works wonders, the rain did its job perfectly, and I did not need to intervene since.

The need for action and the regular addition of water, because although the tank and the ceiling are "almost" sealed (very little moisture or heat from escaping into the room), ventilation reinjected into the tank, the hot, dry air from the gallery lighting "almost" closed circuit. Despite the paludarium to need about 30 liters of water added weekly. (no, there are no leaks, I have checked). ^^ :icon_mrgr

Climatic conditions inside work perfectly, and the lighting (LED High Power) also participates in large part to the success of this proliferation.

Climbing plants (Ficus, and Vanilla) rises pierce the light.

The Lebermoos begins to well invading the rocky edge of the island.

The proliferation of micro-algae in the water by the passage of the sun in this season will change once more the uniformity of sand. But this is not a bad thing the contrary is that more natural. (However, the water remained perfectly clear, even if a slight green tint the color now).

Java moss to extend here and there inexorably.

#120 ·
I absolutely love your viv.
I have an island paludarium in a hex tank, but yours wins by far!
Reading your translated write up is super fun; the diction and word choices add to the mystique.

You could add some neon tetras to the water, and they would be able to forage well, only needing feelings every several days.
Does the top open easily, or do you have to lift the whole hood off?
And let me know when you stop being so secret-like about your rain maker. I'd like to hear about v1 and what you did to make v2 better. :)

Tyler

#121 ·
Thank you for your message ;)

The upper part opens and it slides. But it is tedious to intervene inside.
For rain, I will not say how I did it for personal reasons, however, run your imagination to create your own systems. If I've managed why not you! But just think a little bit, and then it's good to think ^^

#125 ·
Ah still very cool, I wish I was artistic as you. I have the images in my head but seeing them and doing them are 2 COMPLETELY different things haha. But still your time, effort, and quality of your build is remarkable. You Sir, truely have a gift that I could only dream of ever achieving. Im trying to make a Jurassic themed Planted tank out of my 120 (48x24x24) and I have all the ideas I just hope it works and doesnt look like crap.....By the way I checked your video out. It would be cool if you made an updated video of this tank and be able to incoorperate all of the features in it.

#126 ·
.....By the way I checked your video out. It would be cool if you made an updated video of this tank and be able to incoorperate all of the features in it.

Seconded.

#129 ·
Thank you ;)

Elected achieving project of the year "Paludariums Forum"

There are nearly 7 years, I made the discovery of a discipline, "paludariums" the only French forum on the topic "paludariums, a world between Heaven and Water." Forum essential in this area and especially since the beginning administered by a passionate "Phill". There are a little over 8 years now.

This forum bloomed in my mind a whole bunch of ideas taking their roots in the plant, water and mineral world. And here goes that there by little this realization "Island Paludarium 360" has been assigned the achievement of the 2013 Forum.

Here is "Palunette" the magnificent trophy that creates fully Bupa (a member of this forum).
"Pleasure to create" here is what animates this artist who is not his first attempt. And I warmly thank her contribution.

Also thank you to everyone who followed me on this forum during this project. Thank you all. ;)

Ps: Photos of the evolution of the vegetation of the 6th month will follow in the coming week.
A very soon.

#134 ·
Hello and thank you to all

After several months of absence, I just give a little news of this project: D

Evolution of Vegetation - 6 months (this winter)

Six months have passed since the installation of vegetation, a small summary of winter images is required.
The life goes on inside the plants always grow as much.

I added an Jasminum Sambac (or Arabian Jasmine). It flourished in soon after.

We can see that the branches of driftwood begin to ward off humus on their surface. This is the result of the renewal foam, which gives more nutrients to new mosses and plants that grow there.

The bottom of the water is obviously messed with the time, but it has the advantage of accentuating the natural effect.
Water is however quite clean and clear, it is only on the bottom that accumulates the development of cyanobacteria.

Evolution of Vegetation - 1 Year

A year that the project is running alone, I did not intervene it, I chose to "let do".

Some plants have disappeared, others have proliferated, as expected the ficus pumila "repens" and especially the foam "Lebermoos" literally invaded the project.

Here are some pictures before pruning :

We can see the algae accumulated at the bottom of the water, creating a thick carpet.

Cutting of vegetation (currently)

Here is the project now, after a big cleaning of the water area and the hobbing plants "invaders."

However, I left a part dirt in here and there on the sand to keep this little wild effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.