The Planted Tank Forum banner

Suddon fish death

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
I have a 29gal tank with two clown loaches and a striped raphael.
Just got home today to see my two loaches dead and the raphael almost dead. The water was pretty cloudy white color.
All the params read fine. Nothing out of wack.

ph is 7.5
kh 20
nitrate 15
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

I just did a water change 2 days ago. My other tanks are fine. Just this one it wierd and cloudy.

What could this be?

#3 ·
just a cat and a dog.

The only other things I can think to mention are that I add peat to the filter. It's blackwater. Never harmed anything before.

Water was crystal clear yesterday.

We just had a rise in temperature but nothing drastic. The tank temp was 82F.

I did dose one cap full of flourish excel which I normally do not do.

#8 ·
I already did a 40% WC. added a bit of stress guard.

All I have is epsom salt.

And I have no idea what would have caused nitrites to spike.

I am aware that they would not have worked long term. That is why I have a 50gal I was planning on setting up soon.

#9 ·
the Raphael is alive, I contained him in a breeder container in my other tank with VERY similar params without the nitrite.

There is still one clown loach in the tank alive as well. Other it dead.

what is QT? quarantine?
will epsom salt make a difference?

Man what a crappy situation to come home to.
Dead fish I've had for years and my dad's dog who I am watching over, jumped onto the washer, tore open a box of dog treats and ate the entire box and that knocked over the plastic bin I keep my dogs food in and helped himself. Stupid labs eat like gold fish.

#10 ·
keep looking for problems. it is possible that the spike was caused by dead fish, and the initial killer is still undiscovered. may not be the case, but no harm in testing and keeping a close eye for stress signs.

do water changes, add N removers, and some fast growing plants would help too. i have had a spike like that in my eclipse 3 recently, but it was due to the addition of used gravel that dried out first, so all the dead bacteria and other microorganisms decayed and after a vacuum it was all fine.

#13 ·
I think the spike maybe due to the dead fish also.

Though, I have to ask...

How long has the tank been running?

How long has it been running with the peat?

How much Excel did you dose?

White cloudy water is usually bacterial bloom, which may occur on new tanks or established tanks that have been cleaned too well.

#14 ·
Yes, QT is quarantine.

No, don't dose Epsom salts, they're magnesium salts and you want plain jane sodium chloride (NaCl). Aquarium salt, sea salt, pickling salt (the last 2 are from the grocery store) would all be OK. Some ppl say iodized (table) salt is OK but I'll personally never use it.

Now that the fish are in a new tank you need to keep a close eye on the parameters. Was this tank already cycled, or did you move over any cycled media into the new tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.