The Planted Tank Forum banner

Acrylic repair... UGH! ***NVM***

753 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DKRST 
#1 ·
Hey everyone... I have just notices what looks like a hairline crack in my brand freakin new aqueon evolve 8. It's in the back of it on the black acrylic, on the corner of the pump side about halfway up... What I'm thinking I can do is a simple patch with a 2 part epoxy on the inside maybe? Or acrylic? I don't want to return it cause I already have it scaped! Just not full yet, I don't want to tear it all down.

Any suggestions on an easy patch?

-Scott

#2 ·
WHEW! False alarm, I actually shined my flashlight on my cell phone on it, and it looks like it's not actually black acrylic but a black coating over top, and that has been scratched through to the clear, so light was getting through, but I can see that it doesn't penetrate the acrylic.

Sorry bout that.

#3 ·
For (hopefully never needed) future reference, it's possible to repair a small crack using the proper solvent applied to "melt" the acrylic crack together/closed, but it would end up being a noticeable blemish on the acrylic. The crack might still "run" longer over time though depending on the tank stresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.