The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this cynobacteria?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  gus6464 
#1 ·
I completely broke down my Fluval Spec V and have gone high tech and so far it is a little bit of a rough ride. When I setup my Fluval Spec V again I added osmocote root tabs to the base and did a dry start for about 2 months to get my hair grass established. Everything was great the first week after I flooded the tank but I have noticed more and more of this green algae coating everything. I believe it is cynobacteria but I am hoping someone can confirm that and let me know what is the best method to eliminate it.

See less See more
#5 ·
difrent7,
on first glance it looks like cyanobacteria (BGA), but the growth pattern are kind of weird and the color should be a touch darker. Take a little of that stuff rub it between your fingers and smell it. BGA will have the musky smell of forest soil, whereas algae never give off any smell.

If it is BGA, the only way to truly get rid of it is by treating with erythromycin (or a derivative thereof), unless you want to take your tank apart and sterilize everything. Unfortunately, NOTHING eats BGA and physically removing it will only give you temporary relief.

#10 ·
I just checked some of the stuff I removed when I did a big water change today and it doesn't seem to have any smell to it. So does that mean this is some type of algae and if so what am I dealing with here.

Bump:
The above post is a bit misleading.

1 - that is definitely BGA
2 - you can get rid of BGA by finding the root of the problem. Usually it shows up when you do not have enough nitrates I believe. While erythromycin will work it may not completely eliminate the BGA forever and it can come back if your underlying conditions are not dealt with

Your best bet is to scrape it all off and dose a little bit of erthromycin and see what happens IMO. However this is not the only way to get rid of it
I did a big water change tonight I will try and pick up some erythromycin tomorrow when I get out of work but yeah I hope I can figure out what is causing this. I feel like it has to be the root tabs since one of my other tank with the same root tabs is showing signs of BGA but my shrimp bowl has no signs of algae what so ever.

BGA, being an anaerobic bacteria, develops in oxygen-deprived or oxygen-free areas imo, which is generally the result of a lack of water flow/ circulation to improve oxygenation.
From my experience with it, it can be treated successfully using hydrogen peroxide
(H2O2) dosed directly onto the affected areas, at close range, using a plastic syringe or test kit pipette. Turn off the filter(s), lower the water level so you easily get at the BGA to dose it, leaving the filter(s) off for at least 1/2 hour or more. You should see bubbles (oxygen) building up on the BGA and then releasing, a sure sign it's working.
Leave it overnite, when the BGA should have disappeared, but repeat the treatment the next day, if necessary when some remains.
Then fix the underlying MAIN cause to prevent it from recurring - the lack of oxygen/circulation - e.g. stronger water filtration/flow, a spray bar, a small circulation pump, etc.
Best of luck to you.
I used this same tank and filter for a year in the past without any BGA so I can't imagine that I need do anything with the filtration but I can look into it. I have heard about using H202 and I will probably give it a shot before I resort to erythromycin. Either way I really gotta figure out what is causing this since it was never an issue in the past.

#6 ·
The above post is a bit misleading.

1 - that is definitely BGA
2 - you can get rid of BGA by finding the root of the problem. Usually it shows up when you do not have enough nitrates I believe. While erythromycin will work it may not completely eliminate the BGA forever and it can come back if your underlying conditions are not dealt with

Your best bet is to scrape it all off and dose a little bit of erthromycin and see what happens IMO. However this is not the only way to get rid of it

#13 ·
BGA, being an anaerobic bacteria, develops in oxygen-deprived or oxygen-free areas imo, which is generally the result of a lack of water flow/ circulation to improve oxygenation.
From my experience with it, it can be treated successfully using hydrogen peroxide
(H2O2) dosed directly onto the affected areas, at close range, using a plastic syringe or test kit pipette. Turn off the filter(s), lower the water level so you easily get at the BGA to dose it, leaving the filter(s) off for at least 1/2 hour or more. You should see bubbles (oxygen) building up on the BGA and then releasing, a sure sign it's working.
Leave it overnite, when the BGA should have disappeared, but repeat the treatment the next day, if necessary when some remains.
Then fix the underlying MAIN cause to prevent it from recurring - the lack of oxygen/circulation - e.g. stronger water filtration/flow, a spray bar, a small circulation pump, etc.
Best of luck to you.
Klibs,
this is where you are incorrect. Unlike other treatments, only erythromycin, clarithromycin, or azithromycin will kill cyanobacteria 100%. They will be gone from the tank and not return on their own.

The only way you can get them back into your tank is by re-introducing them from outside sources, like plants, food, or water.

bump:

difrent7,

what did it feel like? If it didn't feel slimy, it most likely is not BGA. If you wanted to be more certain, you would have to view them under a microscope.
Before you start the erythromycin treatment, perhaps you would want to remove a patch from the glass and see how fast it grows in. BGA grows really fast and in 3 to 4 days you should be able to make a decision.
Some of it was slimy and other parts were rough I think it is a mix of diatoms in the BGA. Also have some surface film issues which is very oily slimy surface which I heard has to do with BGA as well. After doing a big cleaning yesterday and taking most of the plants, glass, and rocks I can already see it coming back so it is a fast grower.

#8 ·
Best of luck to you.

#11 · (Edited)
Klibs,
this is where you are incorrect. Unlike other treatments, only erythromycin, clarithromycin, or azithromycin will kill cyanobacteria 100%. They will be gone from the tank and not return on their own.

The only way you can get them back into your tank is by re-introducing them from outside sources, like plants, food, or water.

bump:

difrent7,

what did it feel like? If it didn't feel slimy, it most likely is not BGA. If you wanted to be more certain, you would have to view them under a microscope.
Before you start the erythromycin treatment, perhaps you would want to remove a patch from the glass and see how fast it grows in. BGA grows really fast and in 3 to 4 days you should be able to make a decision.

#12 ·
I have used Boyd's Chemiclean on some nasty cyano that I spent months trying to get rid of. It only needed one dose, and I didn't lose fish or plants. I took a risk by treating the tank right before leaving on vacation, so I didn't do the recommended water changes right away. I don't know what ingredient is in it, but it worked like a charm for me, and I haven't had a trace of it since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.