The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nice LFS in NY Metro Area

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  sunyang730 
#1 ·
I am planning on starting my first planted tank in the coming weeks - and I would like to visit a few nice LFS in the area. I am new to NYC - living in South Yonkers and working in the Bronx.

I would love to hear a list of recommended shops in the city and surrounding areas that are worth the train ride/drive to visit for a newbie.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Check out acitydweller's thread on lfs. So far I like Win and Pacific best, but I haven't been to all of them yet. The giant thread tends to have good updates on who has what. Ask if you're looking for something specific. If it's in the area, someone here probably knows where you can get it.

... you wouldn't have a Geosasarma tank in your office, would you?

#4 ·
... you wouldn't have a Geosasarma tank in your office, would you?
I do... Do I know you?

im gonna put some sort of ranking next to all the LFS in the other directory thread to let you know how each one fairs regarding live stock, dry goods, etc... Its meant to be helpful right? ;)
It is much appreciated - thanks.

#8 ·
I try not to advertise them, because I'm possessive of them, but zoorama in the Bronx is a great little LFS.

I get along really well with the people there. I give them a lot of my fish for store credit. They do have a pretty decent selection of plants, not as good as Pacific though. The prices are high, but not insanely so, and you can haggle a little. If the door is locked just go down the block to where they sell the big animals and someone will let you in.

Zoorama
2574 E. Tremont ave

#10 ·
Heh. Small, small world indeed.

Speaking of vivaria, would you have a use for a 10 gallon stock reptile glass tank? I've thought about setting it up for something, but am overwhelmed at the moment and honestly am too afraid of attempting to care for the animals small enough to consider it a good home. It's the kind with thinner glass that won't hold water, locking screen top, came to me with some kind of fluorescent light and an under-tank heater.

#12 ·
why is everyone so sold on winn and pacific?

sure i love winn because they sell tropheous duboisi for $8 (yes i was tempted, get them while you can they have 8) and great fish deals and let you met your own shrimp..... but pacific?

they do stock decent stuff and they have an outstanding planted display in front but... $2.00/ft for co2 tubing (typically $.99/ft)? $29 for an upaqua ceramic disc diffuser (typically $18)? and their plants for sale selection isn't even that great (i was there today). i don't mean to rage on them because they can be nice and helpful, maybe its their rent idk... but i am truly frustrated with them. apologies in advance to anyone who are fans, just imo :(

the best plants i ever got were from TPT forum for sale/trade, RAOK and other hobbyists hands down. i guess if you are limited to taking the subway and walking in the city then they are your only options.

i live in queens and fishtown(although they don't specialize in planted) and the pets warehouses and tropical fantasy out in long long island are less inflated (can still be pricey but definately less than Pacific) with decent selection for an LFS.

come to think of it none of my plants come from Pacific. If anything, the only plants i got from LFS in the city (my sunset hygro and stargrass) all came from winn!

- thefisherman

#16 ·
You're "frustrated" with them? It's a business. Location, quality, stock and customer loyalty all factor into their prices. This is true for all businesses. Also, I have no idea why you're ranting about Win of all places.

Maybe some people can't travel to Long Island for livestock. Maybe some people don't want to order plants and fish through the internet and wait at home for the package. Up until the meets started in September, coordinating with local hobbyists was also a pain.

#14 ·
chibi i didn't mean to rage and by no means was anything directed to you or others. i've just been frustrated with them for a while now.

i'm truly sorry you don't have a great selection or LFS by you and you are limited. if you see anything in my tank that i still have, let me know and I'll RAOK some stuff to you. no hard feeling? :)

#17 ·
thank you city... i would've loved to come meet with everyone last week, but my sister had a baby and made me a god parent of all people! but i spied the forum to see how you guys were doing from the hospital and i'm glad everyone had a good time :) i hope to have a chance to do something soon

You're "frustrated" with them? It's a business. Location, quality, stock and customer loyalty all factor into their prices. This is true for all businesses. Also, I have no idea why you're ranting about Win of all places.

Maybe some people can't travel to Long Island for livestock. Maybe some people don't want to order plants and fish through the internet and wait at home for the package. Up until the meets started in September, coordinating with local hobbyists was also a pain.
i <3 winn (not ranting) but i still feel the same about Pacific... but you're right crash. i am just venting :redface:

#18 ·
I think I only once get some black worms from aqua star and some 1.50 Otto from win. Pacific sure have over price stuff but considering the rent and stuff I guess it is reasonable. But are their income really base on these over price stuff? I am not sure. My logic is, cheap let sell faster and got good recommendation from people to people equals profit. This is a world with Web and basically you can get most from web with a lot cheaper price and free shipping. But I was never in a business so I am not sure how it works. I really hope I will have a chance to start a fish + shrimp planted tank shop in the future. (Daydreaming) lolol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.