The Planted Tank Forum banner

Josh's Regulator Build Thread

21K views 180 replies 28 participants last post by  oldpunk78 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, Seeing as I've got a box full of regulators, couple bags full of parts, a camera and the internet handy, I figured I should start a thread of my progress building these things. Putting together a regulator for planted tank use has kinda become a bobby within a hobby for me. I think I have just as much fun building one of these things a I do setting up a new tank and filling it. Silly, right? lol

Anyway... I will update this thread as stuff comes in and I take photos of the processes. It might be a good learning experience for some of you too as I may do some things you haven't seen yet or aren't aware of.

Today's update:

A bunch of stuff that needs other stuff to show up in the mail and by fedex and from ups.

This thread will sorta be a continuation of the how to build a regulator thread which has been buried in the sticky at the top of this forum.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148509

See less See more
#43 ·
nice, I have the same reg in storage, got it as new, it is a waste to build it though, the reg itself is $800+, and it is a current model that offer by parker, so the proper price outside of industrial parts logistic supply chain, is about half of that retail, which is around $400.

#67 ·
Or you could just extend the output a little further straight out of the body before making the turn, or am I missing something? I feel like what you're talking about, I did with my personal VTS450, though I was able to fit two needle valves slightly behind the handle. Then again, the 450 is monstrous.

And a 90 degree turn should also work, instead of the 45. You can still come straight forward with the nv/bubble counter assembly at any point.

If you like the style of the 45, that works. But all of this honestly just takes a little bit of playing around, dry-fitting parts, to make it work.

#68 ·
If you like the style of the 45, that works. But all of this honestly just takes a little bit of playing around, dry-fitting parts, to make it work.
True.

I am more concerned mostly of the regulator aesthetics then the parts being used. Maybe it was influenced by the nature of my work.

Im just lazy to find fittings and design my own reg parts assembly. So, I just copy good looking regs Josh had built.

#74 ·
I also just put this mini together:

Hey Oldpunk,is this mini single or dual stage?
single, but it is high quality industrial grade pressure regulator. from the picture it looks like a stainless steel, but not sure, oldpunk may provide you the info about the reg.

#80 ·
Piss on the elbow. I'm miffed over the solenoid body. Oh well.

Ya, I must not know my own strength sometimes. One second, everything was nice and slippy and the next it got grindy. I've noticed some parts manufactures use a slightly different taper than others. This was my first experience with Superlok. Their taper is a bit steeper than most. More tape/lube is needed.

#97 ·
Not sure if I shared these or not :/

Yeah... that's a sweet build...well done sir. I have the same Parker MV and Burkert solenoid as pictured (as do dozens of PT members I'm sure LOL) but still need the SS parts to kit it together. Very nice assembly. I like the reducing elbow, it seems the perfect part. Perhaps a shorter 1/4" nipple... if the AC wires from the solenoid allow for it.

#87 ·
I have spent anywhere between $75-$500 on a single complete regulator. I would say the avarage probably works out too around $225. My avarage is really skewed though. The last time I was patient and made myself one, I spent about $160 which included a brand new reg and a stainless post body.

#88 ·
if only count the total of the raw material, my cost is low

the regulator price is pretty open, you have to be lucky to pick up a nice one for low price, majority is around $50-$100.

the good solenoid, and the good metering valve, with good price, most of the time, are pure luck.

started from last couple month, there were the Burkert 2822 and the Parker Hannifin H3L, really good parts/deals both showed up at the same time. put the msg out there so everyone would have a chance to get them, an opportunity that won't show up again in years..

now the burkert 2822 are gone, it will be hard to find a good solenoid and cost will go up.

Still have enough good solenoids to build, :)

#93 ·
#98 ·
B-ss4-a-vh. Where can I buy one I cannot find one online e for sale
That's something you either have to wait and be patient for on eBay or just order it new from Swagelok.
Yeah... that's a sweet build...well done sir. I have the same Parker MV and Burkert solenoid as pictured (as do dozens of PT members I'm sure LOL) but still need the SS parts to kit it together. Very nice assembly. I like the reducing elbow, it seems the perfect part. Perhaps a shorter 1/4" nipple... if the AC wires from the solenoid allow for it.
Thank you ;)

I actually like the proportions better with the 2" long nipple. Here's a pic from the front of my regulator:

The Parker at the bottom of that group of pics actually has the 1-1/2" long nipple you're talking about:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.